Best Practices For A Laptop On A Domain

InTheWayBoy

Okay, so I've got my domain just about perfect...for now :)

But I do have one big issue still...a wireless laptop! GRRR!

I have an AP with WEP enabled plugged into our switches...I've disabled DHCP in the AP, and the client connects fine to it. The problem is when I go to logon to the domain. It will usually b***h and moan about the domain is not there, even though it obviously is.

It's a Centrino wireless, so it has the nice Intel app. It's much better than most I've seen, and has a pre-logon connect function, so that it's got network access before the logon. But even with that I've still got problems. I actually had it working the day before, without any 'hacks' but today the user is saying it's doing it again.

I know you can do wireless with a domain, but I'm obviously missing something. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions? Could it be related to any settings in the AD or GPO? I keep hearing about 'slow-link' stuff and I'm wondering if that is playing a part in this...it's connected at 24MB so I don't think that is 'slow', but it is less than 100MB. I'm probably gonna hook it up through a wire for now.

The other question is what will the user do when they are away from the domain. I figure that means they'll have to logon locally, but what's the best way to set that up? Is there a way to setup some kinda thing were if the domain is no found that it will auto logon locally?

And I have Offline Files enabled, so the user has their documents with them. But since that is tied to the domain account, will the local account be able to see them as well?

Thanx in advance!

Yeah, the laptop is fine on the DNS side...if I logon locally, or the few times I was able to get on the other day it all worked fine. The DHCP of the laptop is leased from the server, with DNS and WINS configured as well.

I don't have the exact error, but it's something along the lines that the domain does not exist. Although if I logon locally I can ping it, see it, and access shares after I put in a domain user/pass...

try adding the following entry to the hosts file:

<domain controller ip> <domain name>

you can use FQDNs (eg. company.com) or netbios (eg. company) names. both should work.

now that there is a static mapping between the domain and one domain controller, your laptop has to find the domain. if its still not working it has to be a connectivity issue.