NIC, above all!

Xavierxray

Hello Everyone, :hello:

Thank you for reading my litle problem.

I presume that this has been answerd before, but I have the NIC driver problem ;) :

Now I have many different network cards etc. as I work in a municipal and there is a geographic situation which leads to people just buying machines and excepting us at IT to "handle it" :blink:

So with all these machines, once in a while I can launch the EXP and get the IP etc all the way trough to when the installation begins.

This is when the setup scans the hardware and decides that I don't have the drivers for the NIC.

I've read a lot of places about how to do it but I have some questions on how to do this.

First:

Which method (RIS, SysPrep, Riprep ...) is best when there are a lot of hardware differences, I also want to include software and would rather not have to do installations after the OS is done.

Second:

Where do I place the drivers?

Third:

When I specify the location of the drivers, what is the limit of the length that can be placed and are subfolders inside subfolders insisde subfolders (etc.) scanned?

example:

(If i specify $1\drivers\003network\3Com will it find drivers onside $1\drivers\003network\3com\whatever\whatever) ?

Finally:

I saw some of you had grouped togheter and that I can download software which could do many auto things, do any of the relate to this?

Any help would be helpfull as I am not yet employed (it's a Norwegian welfare thing) and want to impress the "Captain" so that he'll maybe hire me :)

And I'm kinda short on time....

Edited by Xavierxray

Ive been using RIS running on a windows 2003 server. This has worked great, seeing that most of the machines here all have different hardware setup. There are driver packs that I use (created by Bashrat the sneaky). They work GREAT :thumbup . However if you use them with an RIS setup, you have to do a few extra steps to get them up and running all right. here are a couple links to check out and read up on:

Bashrat the sneaky

and for RIS:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...s+installation]

B)

Thanks!

I've already read that one, actually I have it stored on my laptop and I keep looking from that one to my server and back and fort and so forth.

It's just that I can't seem to get the info I need...or rather I don't understand :blushing:

Hmmmm.... I followed roguespears guide to the t and it worked great for me (however it did take me 2 tries to get it to work. I had problems understanding steps 17 and 19, but got them figured out. Let me know if these parts were unclear, Maybe I can help to explain) Did u try to just place the driver files (.inf, .sys, and .cat) right into the i386 on your RIS, and then restarting the service??? That may solve your problem. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe I can help to explain)  Did u try to just place the driver files (.inf, .sys, and .cat) right into the i386 on your RIS, and then restarting the service???  That may solve your problem. :thumbup

Yes, I did :blink:

And thats what is so :realmad: about all of it!

But maybe this is part of the NIC intel EXP f!ck up?

The UA setup starts up and is about to start the installation when I get that "Image does not contain drivers for your NIC" message.

it's all really :huh:

If you could just explain two simple things,

1. what should I use when there are loads of different HW out there that need drivers

2.How do I get the drivers for that HW in so that UA setup will run, intel 1000pro has proven to be a b***h when I try install, it also gives that "no driver" message instead of starting the setup.

SOLVED, Added a short post that explains the solution to my problem.

NIC drivers for UA Textsetup

Edited by Xavierxray