Opera8.2 vs FireFox1.06

The Rock

matt - what were you using?

Sorry i was using Opera 8

They had their online 10th Party and were giving out free rego's

It is an awesomely fast browser

Even though i will remain to use IE (Personal Preference)

I would recommend Opera to anyone wanting an alternative to IE

Seriously Firefox isnt as great as it is made out to be

As someone said it is open source anyone can go reading it looking for flaws and using them to attack the browser and its users.

Its not that great if you dont sit there for hours setting each setting perfect under about:config

Its not worth the hassle Opera works wicked out of the box, Just like IE just a tad better (IMO)

Great points.  I am more keyboard oriented, but the button idea is close enough.
You like the keyboard? You should have a quick look through Opera's keyboard layout. You can set just about every menu item, feature, and button with a keyboard shortcut. It's probably the most customizable feature of Opera that most people miss (since 90% of the world - or more - are still point-n-click). The only reason I use the mouse is to click on links. Everything else is keyboard shortcuts.
For you question, if you have tab mix plus, you can move the tab bar down.  There is probably an option or a file you can edit to move it down, but since this is one of my essential extensions, I don't look that much further past it.
Yeah, Tab Mix Plus is one of those "must-have" extensions to make Firefox really good. It's already on my list. ;)
Firefox took most of the preferences dialogs away, to make things less confusing for the user.  I'd have to say I agree with them on that.  I had having to wade through hundreds of options to find what I am looking for (ie Azureus).  I go there for important things, and use about:config for the more hidden ones.
As with my other point, there are advantages and disadvantages to removing preference dialogs. Yes, it makes things less confusing to look at, but it does make it harder for the average Joe/Jane to change things to what he/she wants. Pros and cons... pros and cons.
One I am starting to like is the web developer extension.  Lots of neat features that let me change the way a page looks, and to make sure it is working properly.  Autofill is a feature I miss from IE on the Mac, or Google Toolbar.  BugMeNot gets me past many a pages I shouldn't have to sign up for with the click of a button.  ForecastFox, which I didn't think I would use but has been a pleasant suprise.  I'm sure most of my other extensions have similar functionality in Opera.  I'm sure there are many other extensions out there, but I don't use them until I have a need.  If I find one that I like, then will try it out, and if I like it enough, it will go to my unattended cd.  I still like the fact that I have extensions in Firefox, until Opera has them it has a long way to go IMHO.

Looks like the UserJS is like userChrome in Firefox.  Most people don't use it, but its still nice to have the option there.

Yup... those extensions are all good. I've seen some extensions however, that I would never associate with a browser on the other hand. For example, I know that you can integrate Winamp controls into both Firefox and Opera... I've never really understood the point of this. Again... keyboard shortcuts! :D
Firefox is much the same way.  There is also a review process, to check for stability, and that nothing else is broken.  You can either code this yourself, of ask about it on the forums.  If enough interest is there, someone can do it for you, or one of the main developers will take it up.  If you are new to coding then this is a great way for you to learn.  If you think your code is bad, someone will be looking over it to make it faster.

Only problem with the forums are the elitists.  Every board has them, and can deter any noobs.  *cough*eben*cough*

Yup... I really don't like people saying "<insert program here> is the best!!!" or whatever h4x0|2 variation people can come up with without saying why. I appreciate that you and atomizer have been very open and provided the positive arguments for Firefox, and not simply bashed Opera. I hope that I've been seen as the same.
Agreed.  I know each browser has features I like, but when it came down to it Firefox was the clear winner for me.  When Opera has their next major update, or Firefox gives me enough trouble; I will take another look at it.  I will probably do the same for IE7, but it is playing catch up now.
:) Nuff said.
4. breezah fanboiz/girls

You're saying you're not? Half of your list is either opinion, or features I don't need. I have much better programs for half of them, so why would I need them build into my browser? At least you have someone like Zxian arguing your case, because you make Opera look bad, fanboi.

concerning my post some of you guys/girls don't understand:

it's just a list of features i use/like in opera the original poster could care about (or not), and an opinion on what i don't like about firefox.

i don't consider it to be flaming, but interpret it as you wish, even though it wasn't meant for you  .

because of this: unless you're the original poster, please dont bother me...

Grr eben... you're not helping. I will bother you since (a)the topic isn't just for the original poster (it's for everyone) and (b)you haven't really added anything to the conversation. Sure, you spewed off a list of features of Opera... Like sleepnmojo said, some people don't really care about them. I don't use the notes or the mail features of Opera (I use Outlook for that), but everyone else here has given good reason as to the features and functionality of their favorite. Sorry to say, but your original post was highly "fanboi"-ish. Any time that you list only the good things about one program and only the bad things about another, that's flaming and being a fanboi. :no:

At the very least, just leave the competition alone, or give both sides of the coin. There are better ways of saying you don't like something.

Too many opinions and perspectives people. Opera and Firefox are excellent browsers. You know what you want the GUI to look like, you know the malicious files out there, the pop-ups, ads, etc. If you are having fun surfing the net as you are right now, than that's the browser for you. Why do you think there are so many of them?!

But honestly, I think IE is losing. Opera and FF are gaining.

i think the FF/Opera debate comes down to only a few key points. they are both good browsers. they are both FAR more secure than IE could ever dream of being. they are both highly configurable. if it's speed, quality and out-of-the-box ease of use you desire, then i would have to lean towards Opera. the very short time i've spent with it left me impressed. if you are of a "minimalist" type and want to add only the components you want, and you desire configurability out the ying-yang and don't mind getting your hands dirty doing it, then i'd lean toward FF. personally, i love getting my hands dirty. not every one does however.

All the Opera users are saying its really easy to edit the UI, but i seem to be having trouble custamizing it, are there any decent guides on it, I have noticed some speed increases (which is always a plus), but until i can figure out the UI its hard for me to use (I guess old habits die hard)

[Edit] Thanks for the help

Edited by ender341

@ender341 - If you look a few posts back, I posted a link to a site with custom buttons.

To customize the menus, simply right-click on one and select Customize. You can then drag and drop buttons around to where you want them. Under the buttons tab you can find new buttons to add. The site I provided gives extra buttons with functionality that would otherise need a keyboard shortcut or the menu to access.

Opera's Webpage also provides quite a few guides and custom setups.

I've been PMed about writing a guide on how to configure Opera with plugins. Hopefully I'll be able to find the time to write this and also another guide for customizing the UI. If others have any more suggestions, PM me and I'll see if I can add it in.