Windows Workstation (Thin Client OS)

Justin-Credible

Thought some of you WinPE/BartPE users would find this interesting...

Rather than get rid of a bunch of old computers at work that were too slow to run Windows XP, I figured there had to be some use for them. Thus Windows Workstation was born.

Windows Workstation is a thin client OS I've created, based on BartPE, that boots up fast and connects directly into a full screen RDP session with our Windows 2003 Terminal Server. Computers that were practically unused, now have a new life. Users can run Office, browse the internet, basically do anything they would normally, except its all happening server side. The best part-- I've designed the logon screen to work and look exactly like the real thing so users won't know the difference.

More info and some screen shots are available here:

http://www.justin-credible.net/Programs-Wi...rkstation.shtml

I'm still tweaking it, but it isn't really anything special as far as BartPE plugins go. Mainly just the XPE plugin with the BuildInfCache modification to allow drivers to work when installed on the hard drive. The real magic is in my custom shell.

I may write something up when I'm done though.

For each build you create with Bart PE you need a separate license for the source Windows you used. So, if you build 20 clients with it and have VLK, 20 licenses are used of this. But with this, its legal.

It is legal only to distribute your plugin inf + own .exe and .dll's. But if you want to add the whole Bart PE Builder (without Windows binaries), you must ask Bart Lagerweij.

Edited by scp

I've been creating this for a project at work. I'm not really sure how legal it would be to distribute this since the main part of the OS is actually BartPE (does anyone know the legalities of this?)

I may consider releasing the shell... we'll see!

A "how to" tutorial which give us details about required plugins is enough. We can then build our own image with BartPE builder and install on local hard drive.

If you are using your own created plugins, we may need it (like your shell).

• 2 weeks later...

The shell looks great! I have been experimenting with BartPE with RDP for breathing life back into old/redundant workstations and a good/convincing Shell is the secret to user's acceptance!

PLS do consider sharing your shell for our group development/testing etc.

many thanks! :)