Vista Installation From HDD

Guest ajv2809

Guest ajv2809

Hi, Have a problem installing Vista from my hard drive. I have all the files on the HDD so while running XP I clicked into the setup file. It went as far as letting my enter a Validation key but as soon as I click next I get an error message and asks to send an error report. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution? Do I need to install Vista off a DVD? Help would be greatly appreicated!

Guest ajv2809

Its not an ISO image as I have all of the files in the folder individually and they show as the correct file types, I can access the setup file but after inserting the product key i get an error message. Would it be better to put in onto a DVD and then create a new partiton? Instead of just installing through XP.

Edited by ajv2809

Guest ajv2809

It is not a ISO. They are all ready extracted to HDD. Do the same principles appy? How do I create a new partition without the DVD?

Guest ajv2809

I dont think thats the problem as I have all the files - it just gives an error report after I have inserted the product key - I have the files - theres no problem with it not being an ISO - it is just why am I getting these error messages? And how do I stop them.

Try This,

Make your partition also before installing Vista, Use what ever

3rd party app for that.

Then just mount the DVD image in what ever app you have. I use Alcohol,

to mount the image. I then copy all the files to %Systemdrive%\VistaInstall

Then start the set up from Windows.

Any other problems might be from a bad copy Of Vista That

you downloaded. Unless it from the MSDN site or you are a real

beta tester then you cannot be sure what some one has done,

to the files.

Edited by gunsmokingman

To Install Vista via HDD, make sure that your primary HD (normaly "C:") have enougth free space for instalation files.

I had the same problem, but I did free up some space on HD C: and it has solved. :thumbup

Hope it solves your problem.