Windows XP Boot

gui_m

hello! I've been trying to fix this PC for a week now and any help would be appreciated. :thumbup

Basically, I switched on the PC and I got the 'NTLDR is missing' error message. I put my XP CD, went to repair and copied those two files (ntldr.com etc... I don't remember the exact filenames) to the C: directory. Rebooted and the NTLDR message didn't appear, but the computer will just restart when it tries to boot from this partition (no windows loading screen even, just a black screen for a split second followed by a restart)

Then I tried fixboot and fixmbr but I still have the same problem.

I then did a virus scan in miniPE and it found 223 infected files but i had them all removed and the computer still won't boot into XP... still the same error. I don't recall any system files being removed during the virus scan because they were infected by a virus

What should I do? (I really don't want to have to reinstall a fresh version of windows...) Thanks again :)

Edited by gui_m

Maybe boot with an old boot floppy

1 fdisk

2 delete partitions

3 remake partition

4 reboot

5 format

If this will not work I may suggest a LLF. Some resident virus will also hide in the memory when threatened and then come out when they have the oppertunity.

In this case more drastic things will be needed.

Repeat the above steps

then immediatly after format shut the computer down completly.

Remove memory for at least 15 seconds. Then reinstall memory

Rather than going into the recovery console, try doing a repair install. Follow the setup process until it gives you the option. Any corrupt files should be replaced without having to completely reinstalling windows.

After restoring the NTLDR and ntdetect.com to root of the bootable drive

so u r supposed to be in recovery console

run

fixmbr

followed by

fixboot

commands

create boot.ini entry for u r os by

bootcfg command

check it help for detailed options

type exit and the system will restart

now u can boot to the OS

The harddrive is probubly failing, try to test it with one of these utils.

Tried the manufacturers system utility... Drive is completely functional :)

:P if you get NTLDR is missing error all you need to do is put in a win 98 startup floppy at prompt  a:sys c:    then your see a:system transferred and then u can upgrade to a nt based os.Enjoy!!! :whistle:

Didn't quite understand what you're suggesting... I don't want to updgrade to an NT based OS (I've already got Windows XP installed, which i'm trying to boot)...

After restoring the NTLDR and ntdetect.com to root of the bootable drive

so u r supposed to be in recovery console

run

fixmbr

followed by

fixboot

commands

create boot.ini entry for u r os by

bootcfg command

check it help for detailed options

type exit and the system will restart

now u can boot to the OS

What are the exact commands for doing this? I was messing around but found nothing in help to create boot.ini entry for my installation of Windows XP. Thanks for the help guys :thumbup

Alright so i've decided to fix this a little differently as I couldn't create the entry in boot.ini... I created a new logical partition in the same HD (after the original installation partition) and installed windows XP again. I can now access my boot.ini file and it reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

How should I edit this so I can boot from the original installation of windows, on the first partition (primary partition)

Rather than going into the recovery console, try doing a repair install. Follow the setup process until it gives you the option. Any corrupt files should be replaced without having to completely reinstalling windows.

hmm... didn't see any option to perform a repair install. How do I do that?

hmm... didn't see any option to perform a repair install. How do I do that?

It comes after the option to go into the recovery console.

How should I edit this so I can boot from the original installation of windows, on the first partition (primary partition)

Change both partition(2) entries to partition(1)

Add another line to boot ini but change to partition(1)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Hope this helps :hello:

Alright so i've decided to fix this a little differently as I couldn't create the entry in boot.ini... I created a new logical partition in the same HD (after the original installation partition) and installed windows XP again. I can now access my boot.ini file and it reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edited by WorldofRoss