Opera vs Firefox

matthewk

I know Opera might use less memory than Firefox... But Opera, its Too Late, Firefox has alredy taken my Heart and I will never change no matter what.

Opera was too late in being Freeware, Firefox had a head start in making it into the hearts of Geeks everyware plus the cool Extentions are awesome too. Opera will never have as many cool addons as Firefox.

have you even tried opera?

have you even tried opera?
Yes I like it fine, but im just not as acustomed to it as Firefox.

Opera might be somewhat better than the Fox but only slightly, the difrence is marginal. I cant just up and change after im alredy familiar with Firefox

Here is a Good Website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Dont get me wrong any browser is safer/better than IE (but IE7 is looking quite promising)... And Firefox is not as safe as manny think, Opera is pretty dam good but not my style. (Its a matter of ones taste)

lol, well i agree with you then. i used firefox for about a year until opera became free, ever since that date ive been using opera and have gotten tuns of family/friends to switch to it. btw, thx for posting that myths page

In my opinion Opera completely sucks and should be wiped from the internet.I used it and it took way too long to load webpages and the downloads were way too slow.
Your post is pretty dramatic, but I agree with you to a point. I am a long time Opera fan and I've noticed that recent versions have slowdown issues. Seems to be poor connection or memory management.

Well, personally if I was a newcomer in the world of web browsers, I certainly wouldn't rely on which became freeware first as my basis for decision between say Firefox and Opera. I have much respect for Opera over Firefox because Opera was payware and became freeware. That's a huge decision for a company to make.

Using a browser because it is not currently being exploited is a trench to jump into for the time being, no question about it, but once these browsers become more popular, they will be exploited more. Even still, it is better to go with an alternative other than IE because even when new security flaws are found, it takes M$ a month to release a patch. It's ASAP with Opera. I also don't like that Firefox needs an extension just to use mouse gestures. Opera does this right out of the box.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

i've personally used Firefox before and i never plan on doing so again. when i tried Opera for the first time, it loaded like s***(the command buttons looked weird). but then again i tried it again and it seems that it was fixed. and now i'm using Opera 9.01 and i'm happy :). the reason why i won't use firefox is because of its XUL garbage and its memory leaks. if i wanted a Gecko browser, K-Meleon would be sufficient for me.

btw: if anyone is intrested in reading,

http://files.myopera.com/Rijk/blog/extensions.html

im saying firefox. even though i have used opera for a while, it never seemed so great, it would slow my computer down too much for my liking. also, with firefox, i can change pipelining, page delays etc. also, slowly its gaining more features, closed tabs and whatnot, view open tabs...lots of things that opera had, but wasnt as obvious.

if only you knew the power of the extensions. :lol:

darthvader2id6.jpg

BTW I believe this information is valid:

MemUsage in Taskmanager = "Working Set" which is not an accurate measurement of real memory usage.

VMSize in Taskmanager = "Private Bytes" which is more accurate measurement of real memory usage.

Firefox does not trim its working set when minimized by default.

BTW I run with no Paging File; Virtual Memory = 0! :)

@Jeremy, errr...... Mem Usage is not a reliable method.

Huh? A method of what? I was just showing the difference between the two browsers.

As DigeratiPrime said, it is possible to trim one's working set.

Firefox does not trim its working set when minimized by default.

But this does not only happen with minimizing. You can call a function from win32's API to get the same effect.

Here is a Good Website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

Dont get me wrong any browser is safer/better than IE (but IE7 is looking quite promising)... And Firefox is not as safe as manny think, Opera is pretty dam good but not my style. (Its a matter of ones taste)

oh please....the firefox myth website is a joke...if you must read it, at least read this Link to get a balanced view....don't believe everything you read on the web ;)

i know thy twerd was biatching - all about firefox but ready this article makes me wonder,

but where this actualy thread is about firefox and opera...

i usualy just say 1 thing, its a matter of choice -

if you want a free broser that runs fast, and has buildin rendering for buth IE and Gecko brosers, and also a verry standard-like set of features,

go for opera - because it will be way faster than Firefox,

but when you want 1 brosers on more thant one os white on every system the same settings, a verry big set of features and more customization in looks and functions,

take firefox for a spin....

Firefox has one advantage over opera and thats open source. Apart from that opera beats it in every single aspect. Waaaaay more secure than either firefox or ie. Waaaaaay faster at loading web pages and alot better on the memory. I used to be a firefox user for a short period of time before someone recommended opera to me. Ever since then firefox has just been a joke. i still slap myself everynow and then just for using it all that time ago. what was i thinking.