Opera vs Firefox

matthewk

I seem to have memory leaks at times with opera (the opera.exe process has exceeded 200mb+ before dragging my pc). I have read that exploits exists for firefox. I managed to get spyware when I was using firefox; I have not got any spyware since usage with Opera. I liked the adblock extension with firefox; I have been using admuncher as a replacement for that when using opera. I believe there is also a remove permanently extension for firefox. I like the wand from opera for username logins (I've never seen anything like it); is there an equivalent for firefox? I've also had problems using opera for java applets like yahoo games; flash seems to work fine though. Also, the quicktime plugin I had to use IE for seemingly; I haven't tested the quicktime alternative program/codec yet. Firefox seems to provide more power; and opera seems to be cleaner on some things. I was wondering what everyone here thinks?

i never used Opera, but from what i've read it seems like a **** fine browser. it's also supposed to load faster than most other browsers, whereas FF is about the slowest. however, i like free, open source stuff and i love FF :)

as for "wand" for opera, i'm not sure what it is, but there are several login/password managers for FF, including the one that's built-in. if you end up going with FF, have a look at AdBlock Plus. it's fairly new and very sweet.

The "wand" allows you to save your user/pass for any website and when you visit that site you can simply press CTRL+ENTER to automatically insert said user/pass without having to type it in. All passwords are kept within an encrypted file and you can even set a master password you have to enter in order to use the wand. I'm sold on Opera, without a doubt. I've been using it since v6 and I wouldn't use anything else. I keep IE around for the occasional trip to WU or for the very rare site that doesn't work with Opera, but 99.99% of my internet browsing is done with Opera. Admittedly it's not free, but it seems more polished than FireFox, and to me that's worth paying for.

As for me, I quite like Opera as well. Sadly though, FF seems to work better on some occasions - online mail, online payments and the like ...

I've come to think that maybe it was Kerio Personal Firewall that was blocking some of Opera's functionality at the time. So I may go back to trying it again.

Does anyone else experience these kind of problems w/ Opera opposed to FF or maybe Iexplore ?

Like Jito here, I quite like the clean interface of Opera and I very much like the idea that it's not based on some other browser like Explorer or Netscape.

Greetings ;)

- Jacob

Edited by techniquefreak

Why not use both?.....lol. I would have to admit though, I use FF about 99% of the time. When purchasing anything from the web, I use IE for that. Not to confident in using the other browsers when doing a transaction as so many sites still might cater more to IE.

Why not use both?.....lol.  I would have to admit though, I use FF about 99% of the time.  When purchasing anything from the web, I use IE for that.  Not to confident in using the other browsers when doing a transaction as so many sites still might cater more to IE.

Sad... but true. Most of the sites that are designed for IE 6.0 aren't properly coded in the first place. To make a fully compliant page, writers will code with standard XHTML/HTML, and then add in hacks to make it work in IE. :no:

I've tried Firefox when I first heard about it (and ever since then with each new build). It's alright... but doesn't suit my tastes. It's a bit sluggish, takes too long to configure, and the memory leaks are just annoying.

I switched to Opera a few months ago, and I don't think I'll ever switch back. Unbeatable security, smooth operation, fully customizable interface (FULLY customizable - Firefox doesn't even come close), the wand - what more could you want? Not to mention the fastest rendering engine on the planet. :thumbup

@techniquefreak - For those pages that don't work properly in Opera, it's probably that the site is sending Opera bad code. If it's a site that you regularly visit, you can add it into the ua.ini file so that Opera identifies itself as either IE or Mozilla based when visiting that website.

And for those people complaining that it's not free... was your computer free? Is your OS free (for ~95% of the population)? $39 USD is not that big of a deal for a program you'll probably use every day.

As for the original problem... I'd try doing a complete reinstall. Uninstall Opera. Delete the program files directory. Delete the directory under Application Data. Start from scratch. If you need more info on how to do this, check at the Opera forums. I've seen Opera use ~70MB of RAM, but never 200+ (I've got 1GB btw...). On machines with only 256MB of RAM, it usually doesn't go above 40MB.

Edited by Zxian

Thanks Zxian. About the ua.ini file -where do I find that ? In the install dir ? How do I add that in IE code in (sorry about the noobish questions, but I really don't know what you mean ... ) ?

Thanks in advance - Jacob

Edited by techniquefreak

The ua.ini file is in the profile directory. By default, this is placed in C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile. An easy way to get to this is to:

->Start

->Run

->type %appdata%, press enter

Then browse into the folders from there. You'll want to check in opera:about to double check the location of your profile (Help->About Opera). There should be some entries in there already. Simply copy the format and add your own websites to the list. Look here for more info.

As for the IE code, you don't have to do that... web designers do. When you visit a website, some will ask your browser to identify itself. Based on the reply that they get, the website will send you different code that may work better in your browser. Some websites (I don't know why) will send Opera bad HTML code to screw up the rendering of the page. By editing the ua.ini file, you trick these sites into sending you the same code that you'd recieve if you were using IE or Firefox.

I like opera too, but I am using FF for the last 2 years, just installing opera from time to time, on newer releases.

In the end, Opera is to unstable for me! And the it has many options, but also many that I don't use, so I prefer the plugins in FF!

Just a personal opinion! :)

Maybe I am not good at tweaking Firefox, but to me Opera is still "the fastest browser on earth".

And at least there are two of us:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

jaclaz

good article, but i think the guy is using totally unrealistic hardware for his testing (P3 800???). over 11 seconds to load FF??? i can almost say that i know for a fact that if i fired up my old P3 800 box with FF installed, that it would load in FAR less time. however, how many people are running less than 2 gHz these days anyway?

FF, on my box anyway, loads in a couple seconds, cold, and just over a second warm (with 16 extensions and several plug-ins).

Opera would probably be even faster i guess. IE, when i used to use it, popped up just about instantly, but that's because it loads itself in memory at logon.