WinPE + Diskpart + Ghost

kRUSty

Hello.

We are using WinPE 2005 and Ghost 8.0 for imaging.

The functionality is as followed.

1.Booting WinPE

2.Starting factory + registering dll

3.VBScripts will started to gathering information

4.after that diskpart destroys the existing partition

5.diskpart create a new primary partition

6.Format partition with ntfs

7.Ghost will started to copy image to created partition

8.Writing sysprep-information

This works fine, but on some computers after ghost image is beeing restored, no access to data on partition is given. It looks like before step 7. If i´ve created an directory, for example, this directory existing after ghost also.

Just if I boot the computer, the data on the partition become visible and then I can write on it. But why only on some computers this accures?

It looks like the mapping table of the partition will not written or refreshed. Can I do it manual?

Thanks for help in advance

kRUSty

Hi kRUSty

I think you are doing some extra steps here.

you shouldn't need to create the new partion or format it since this already is in the ghost image.

Your way isn't bad in any way it's just that you can save time by skipping it.

have you tried to run diskpart between steps 7 and 8 and assign a letter to the new partition?

I wrote a system that does the same as yours but with pqideploy insted of ghost. thee i had to assign a letter to the newly imaged drive before i could access it again. This has worked on about 30000 installations so far

Hey, Mats.

Yes, the letter will assigned after every installation with ghost. I´ve forgotten to write that.

The thing, that makes me crazy is, that it works on many computers, but on this two not. I´ve tried on two equal computers (siemens) with 100% equal hardware (same model). On one of comuter it works on another not.

Greets

kRUSty.

Hello.

We are using WinPE 2005 and Ghost 8.0 for imaging.

The functionality is as followed.

1.Booting WinPE

2.Starting factory + registering dll

3.VBScripts will started to gathering information

4.after that diskpart destroys the existing partition

5.diskpart create a new primary partition

6.Format partition with ntfs

7.Ghost will started to copy image to created partition

8.Writing sysprep-information

This works fine, but on some computers after ghost image is beeing restored, no access to data on partition is given. It looks like before step 7. If i´ve created an directory, for example, this directory existing after ghost also.

Just if I boot the computer, the data on the partition become visible and then I can write on it. But why only on some computers this accures?

It looks like the mapping table of the partition will not written or refreshed. Can I do it manual?

Thanks for help in advance

kRUSty

No need to create a new partiton. Ghost will do that for you as you lay down the new image. Make sure you use the Partition switches on the command line. Not Drive letter.

Chris

Hey, Chris.

Don´t know what you mean.

I restore the partition with followed options:

-clone,mode=prestore,src=Z:\E-Client\20008\images\G-Img.gho:1,dst=1:1 -fni -sure -quiet -auto -buffersize=32 -pwd="123" -fx

and as destination I have to give a partition to ghost where the image should be created. So I have to create image before.

???

Greetings,

kRUSty

ah that could be it.

Have you tried to clone the entire disk instead of a partition? You should clone the entire disk to get the bootsector and mbr correct.

I Checked with my people and we got E620 working in our enviroment without problems

Hi Krusty

I dont know with ghost since we use pqideploy instead but i think you must take a new ghost of your sorce machine and take the whole disk.

I found this on the net on how to restore an entire disk

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=Z:\E-Client\20008\images\G-Img.gho,dst=1 -sure

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize this is an older thread....but does the order of the switches after ghost32.exe matter?

This is my script:

:ghost
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO Please select Hard Drive
Echo A)SATA
Echo B)IDE
ECHO --=====--
ECHO C)Go back to begining

choice /c:ABC /N

if errorlevel 3 GOTO menu
if errorlevel 2 set ide =-auto -fx
if errorlevel 1 set ide =-auto -fx -fni

net use S: \\%server%\currentimage * /USER:%domain%\%username%
ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO You will now be imaging a computer. Any data on that computer will be destroyed. When you are ready,
PAUSE
ghost32.exe -clone,mode=restore,src=S:\CSIimage.gho,dst=1 -sure -quiet %ide%
GOTO exit

Should the -fni be moved up?