• Dell
    • HP
    • Toshiba
    • emachines
    • acer
    • Sony
    • Other (What?)

• 2 weeks later...

well i think the company supports might be okay.

we here, know a lot, possibly more than what those support ppl know.

so if u call them to ask something its hard for them to answer

vando2k said don't but from any, customize your own. well if a user knows that there is an option to customize his/her computer (build it from scratch) he/she has some understanding...

also there is the problem of explaning yourself and how the support personal percieves your problem.

ow and dell computers are pretty good. my laptop's been running for 3 years always on. except restarts.. and it has not failed nor crashed bc of any problem...

Edited by XtremeMaC

• 2 weeks later...

how about an "impartial" option.

we are a "Dell" shop at work...all 200 workstations...

there are times when the tech support people are knowledgeable while others are incredily "slow" for a lack of a better word!

so does one bad apple ruin the whole batch...? yes, but you gotta weigh out the other good times when you call tech support!

to qoute. who buy computers from DELL,

I DO, and im verry happy with it, they got perfect support, at least to me the have, - there are just 2 things, - (A) jou must ba corporate customer (with atleas over a 100 workstations... and (B) you must ba rather rude, and ust demand help instead of asking for it...

but offcaure all these companies wil have way better sopport foor corporate customers ... all exacpt one. MSI, and Maxdata..

HP.

My family had a computer with a single bad stick of RAM. No big deal, right? But I didn't want to spend 30 bucks for a cheesy little 256mb replacement (It had dual channel, so 2x 256mb) stick of RAM. I called up HP, and after being on with some guy who I couldn't understand for like an hour, I finally got him to agree that my memory was bad, and that emptying the recycle bin would NOT solve my problem.

But, while he said the RAM would be replaced, he said that I would have to pay like $30 for some technician to come out and replace it for me. 'Company Policy' Hell. The tech guy had me pull the stick out like 3 times!

I voted for HP which these days means Compaq also. Anytime I have had to call it seems that their main goal is to find some reason that my problem isn't convered under the warranty. And after an hour of that then they usually say they'll pass it on up the line (in other words in the trash).

I'm surprised Dell is the leader in this poll. I must admit however that I've never had to call Dell's tech support, but that's because anything I've ever gotten from Dell has worked the way it was supposed to work.

I'd like to add some thought to this discussion if I may. I'm not bitter or anything, just want to offer my opinion. But those of you saying that it's better to build your own computers, that may be so, but not everyone can.

Personally I'm legally blind (very limited vision) so I can't build my own computers. I have no choice but to turn to a prebuilt computer manufacturer. My choice? HP. I've had two computers from them that ran great.

In fact, when my old HP died (it was my fault because I scrwed around with the bios and it wouldn't boot no longer) they sent me a new computer with no questions asked. I even got to keep the new one for a few days before sending back the old one to make sure that everything was ok. It was and I sent back the old computer and everything went fine.

Some of you say their computers are expensive. You may be right. But in May of 2004, I got an HP Pavilion with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (first AMD64 model released by the way) 512mb of ram, nvidia geforce fx5200, built in network card, 200gb hd, windows xp home, 4x dvd+rw/cd-rw combo drive..for about 950 bucks. For the time (the model came out March 04) I didn't think that was a bad price to pay at all.

Just thought I'd give my own thoughts. :)