• Compaq
    • Dell
    • HP
    • Toshiba
    • emachines
    • acer
    • Sony
    • Other (What?)

This will be a stupid off topic question... Who buys computers from Compaq or Dell or whatever when we perfectly know that they are not as superior as one you can build yourself (probably for the same amount of money if not less) ??

Why do you care about tech support? Every tech support is organised to put an id*** on the phone, because of the large chance of an even bigger id*** on the other end. They call it support levels.

And tech support will never ever acknowledge that anything is wrong with their product. I once called Packard Bell tech support because my notebooks graphics card was fried for the third time, twice in the same machine and again in the replacement. They said I should extend my warranty period.

Geez... all tech support sucks. Compaq complained to me for two weeks when my hard drive was a dud because they kept on telling me that it was "normal" for a computer to take 30-40 seconds to wake up from hibernation. Dell wasn't much better when I had my system from them.

Although, I think I've found a new worst company...

www.flycomputers.com

They built my friend's computer with the following specs:

3.2GHz P4 Prescott

1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 RAM (dunno what brand)

256MB ATI X800XL video card

(some other stuff...)

And to top it all off.... NO CASE FANS!!! The only fan that was blowing air out of the case was the power supply fans. I told him to get at least a 120mm fan to blow air out, and told him to get a better heat sink (he had the stock Intel on there). The guys at the store said that the Zalman 7700Cu or 7700AlCu wouldn't do any better than his stock HS... geez...

And tech support will never ever acknowledge that anything is wrong with their product. I once called Packard Bell tech support because my notebooks graphics card was fried for the third time, twice in the same machine and again in the replacement. They said I should extend my warranty period.

HA, that is very very true. Sometimes it takes a couple of F-bombs to get them to understand that their SH#% is broken. :P

I bought a motherboard from ABIT, and nearly 6 months later it...died.

I called their tech support, and the "tech" person could hardly speak english.

While I listened, I could hear the person turning pages as they helped my "diagnose" my dead motherboard.

When all else failed, they asked me if my toaster was plugged in... :blink:

I worked in the MIS department for a private college campus for almost two years as Jr. Network Admin and we had Dell as our primary Laptop and Desktop providers recieving probably 15-20 machines a month for new students. Well most of the students weren't computer literate and tore the machines to hell leaving me and my co-worker to call Dell to replace a simple component like a HD and we use to call and bam three hours wasted talking to a person from india who barely speaks english and can hear the **** book flipping pages in the background not knowing what the hell is going on looping you through the same **** troubleshooting procedures you already did before you called. DELL SUCKS!!!! :realmad:

Edited by PaCiNoLiFe

They built my friend's computer with the following specs:

3.2GHz P4 Prescott

1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 RAM (dunno what brand)

256MB ATI X800XL video card

(some other stuff...)

And to top it all off.... NO CASE FANS!!! The only fan that was blowing air out of the case was the power supply fans. I told him to get at least a 120mm fan to blow air out, and told him to get a better heat sink (he had the stock Intel on there). The guys at the store said that the Zalman 7700Cu or 7700AlCu wouldn't do any better than his stock HS... geez...

Friends don't let friends buy a pre-built system!

I'd have to say Gateway. About a year ago at work we bought 30 17inch notebooks. We've had to send 12 of them back for repairs. On average it takes 2 hours of "troubleshooting" for them to take one back. Makes sense. They ship a box overnight to us, that gets shipped overnight back to them, and they ship it back once its repaired overnight again. 3 overnight shipments like that can't be cheap. Turnaround is usually 9 days. Its not so bad that these notebooks were completely faulty in their design, its the fact that they have us check for spyware and stuff when we have a screen that wont show red, but just blue and green (the screen didn't even show the Gateway logo correctly at boot time, let's see spyware do that). 4 of the computers just outright died and wouldn't even POST, but they kept having me try and hook up a monitor through the VGA port to check BIOS settings. Of course it never worked. Anyway, our Dell purchases aren't so bad since we get people based in the USA. Regardless, we only call them for hardware problems. I do have one bad story for Dell. I had a hard drive with bad sectors. They had us send the comptuer back with the story that it may be the motherboard and the exact same hard disk came back, with the drive wiped clean and a new dell image installed. I had to use autoclave with 25 passes a few times until the drive completely died and they gave me a replacement.

Friends don't let friends buy a pre-built system!

I'm sorry!!! I couldn't get to him in time!!!

It was also his other friend who told him to go with Intel and ATI, just because the friend "liked them more"... *shakes head*

I would have told him to get an Athlon64 3200+ (or the like) and the Geforce6800 (or variant) instead of his current setup... but then again, he's somewhat of a n00b when it comes to the insides of a computer... he told me "anything outside of Windows is hardcore" :rolleyes:

As I've said before, the Army uses Dell exclusively. They suck. Dell, not the Army, I mean. Dell really, really, really sucks. Day in and day out they break, and Dell's support sucks even more then their shoddy, cheap plastic computers. Hate 'em. It's terrible that America's fighting backbone is at the mercy of such crappy vendors. Ah well, look at the HumVee :P