AD Hoc Wireless Network

hammer55

Some family friends of ours bought some WiFi cards for their computers (3). They have dial-up internet so sharing it over a router like most of us do is out of the question (and no they cannot get high speed). The store they bought it from set up an Ad-Hoc Network(P2P) between the 3 wireless cards. They have the network and file sharing working between two XPSp2 computers, but the internet sharing does not work. Apparently it worked for one day and just stopped. I checked and the store who set it up did not enable ICS. I did and still no luck. I forget how I manually configured the IP addresses with the gateway etc, could someone tell me how to do it?

The third computer is Win98, and is not configured for the network, even though it appears to me it has the same workgroup and everything. (I ran the XP Network Setup on it and it didn't work.) Can someone tell me how to configure this computer to run on the Network?

To summarize: dial up internet comes in through a modem on XP Home Sp2 computer, trying to share it out through a WiFi card to two other computers, another XPSp2 (I think this one is a Pro and it is on the network) and a 98 computer who needs to be configured on the Network

Thanks

Some family friends of ours bought some WiFi cards for their computers (3). They have dial-up internet so sharing it over a router like most of us do is out of the question (and no they cannot get high speed). The store they bought it from set up an Ad-Hoc Network(P2P) between the 3 wireless cards. They have the network and file sharing working between two XPSp2 computers, but the internet sharing does not work. Apparently it worked for one day and just stopped. I checked and the store who set it up did not enable ICS. I did and still no luck. I forget how I manually configured the IP addresses with the gateway etc, could someone tell me how to do it?

The third computer is Win98, and is not configured for the network, even though it appears to me it has the same workgroup and everything. (I ran the XP Network Setup on it and it didn't work.) Can someone tell me how to configure this computer to run on the Network?

To summarize: dial up internet comes in through a modem on XP Home Sp2 computer, trying to share it out through a WiFi card to two other computers, another XPSp2 (I think this one is a Pro and it is on the network) and a 98 computer who needs to be configured on the Network

Thanks

When you setup ICS on the dialup network (bear in mind the computer with the dialup must ALREADY be dialed in, use something like Keep-it-alive to keep it from signing out ) The wireelss device shoud be set to 192.168.0.1 (This is donw automatically in windows)

There for all other computers on the network should be set to 192.168.0.x (x=any number other then 1) With DHCP and gateway set to 192.168.0.1

Then there should be internet access

As for why doesn't it work on the 98 machine? I have yet to see a wireless device that works on 98 98SE and up is what they all require...

Good Luck! :)

Edited by neuro42

When you setup ICS on the dialup network (bear in mind the computer with the dialup must ALREADY be dialed in, use something like Keep-it-alive to keep it from signing out ) The wireelss device shoud be set to 192.168.0.1  (This is donw automatically in windows) 

There for all other computers on the network should be set to 192.168.0.x (x=any number other then 1)  With DHCP and gateway set to 192.168.0.1

Then there should be internet access

As for why doesn't it work on the 98 machine?  I have yet to see a wireless device that works on 98  98SE and up is what they all require...

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the help, not sure if I did those things or not for it has been a couple days... As mentioned networking works just not internet. I will double check those things and report back. I'm also pretty sure I know why it doesn't work with 98 (it did work til I ran network setup) I just have to reconfigure simple network settings... It does work on the 98 machine so it must also be SE... again not my machines and I barely worked on them so I don't know them well.

And I'm assuming when you say DHCP you mean DNS.... :)

The XP Network Setup Wizard doesn't work to well on Windows 98SE in fact it screws up a working network setup on a 98SE machine. Configure it manually on the 98 machine.

Also i think DHCP here might mean that the computer should be set to automatically retrieve a ip from the gateway.