XP Bootale DVD troubles

Hi, i'm relatively new to the unattended thang, and i am having some problems getting a dvd to boot in order that i can make my xp setup fully unatended and also install offfice at the same time.

i have been using nLite and creating a bootable iso image with this, then mounting hte image with deamon tools, in order that i can copy it using nero express (probably not the most efficient way of doing this but i can't work out how to burn the iso direct using nero)

everything goes fine and in a virtual machine the iso boots up just fine, but whne i inster the burnt disc into a physical machine it cannot use it to boot!

it driving me crazy!!

any help would be great!

am i missing somthing really obvious?

If you follow wiredbits instuctions the ISO should boot just fine if it is booting fine in virtualpc/vmware. Have you checked that the pc you are trying to boot it on has the dvd/cd drive set as the first boot device? Sounds simple, and I in no way mean to be insulting, but little things like that are often forgotten.... :D

That's very odd then since the boot information is contained in the iso and so when nero burns it the disk should be bootable if the iso is and since the iso boots in your virtual machine....odd

How old is the dvd drive you're trying to boot from? If its not the same drive that is writing and it is a particularly old dvd-rom it might not be able to read the disk properly, try burning at a lower speed, using -media instead of +media (if you are) and also, if you are using dvd-rw/dvd+rw, try a dvd-r/dvd+r because not all dvd-rom drives will read dvd-rw and some are picky as to which dvd-rws/+rws they will read.

hi

i can't believe anyone would got to such length to burn a cd image, Nero is the crappiest burning tool i've ever used....i don't know if this will help ....but i just use the CDIMAGE GUI...as found on the unnattended web site....and make a image with that....and then use ....( i think it's pegasis ..or something ) to burn the image on a cd, .....................it takes 5 seconds to set up.

why would anyone spend an hour going thru all that Nero crap!!!!!!!!!

thanks activedesign, i am indeed using dvd-r on the same writer as i am using to boot (i am switching out the hard discs) still no luck!

vakhal raises an interesting point, i use nero because i find it is flexible enough to fit most of my needs and i am familiar with most of it, why have more than one piece of software installed for the same application? whats better about pegasis?

Hi

Just for fun try +R, I am sure it will make no difference but...LOL. Like aktivedesign suggested boot order is the only other thing i could think of.

I have yet to have a problem with Nero so still use it for all my burns but might look into prgrams vakhal mentioned.

Hope you get it to boot

Jim

vakhal raises an interesting point, i use nero because i find it is flexible enough to fit most of my needs and i am familiar with most of it, why have more than one piece of software installed for the same application? whats better about pegasis?

yes... i agree with you there

i've never liked nero and it's such a big program..(like internet explorer...it takes up twice the amount of space as firefox, and does the same job ) ...anyway, everytime i want to do anything in nero ,i have to go through the help and search for the instruction...half an hour later.."arr ,so that's how i do it".

with pardius (i can't remember what it's called...i know it's not pegasis...it has a d in it somewhere.....as you can see i havn't taken much notice of the name, even though i use it all the time ) it's so simple and easy to figure out ,i've never had to read the instruction...when i get home i'll have a look on my computer and tell you the name.

cheers vakhal, sounds like it would be worth me looking into it!

good quetions warrior1109, there hasn't been an error message it has just been skipping and ooting the copy of windows trhat was already there, until today, i was trying it on adifferent machine to see if it was a drive speciufic error (it doesn't seem to be) and i did get an error message somthing to do with 1.44MB drive. could i have been burning it so it thinks its a small floppy? i'll have another look when i get afree minute and tell you what the message said exactly.