Taskbar auto hide bug?

I believe i may have found a small bug in the Win98SE SP v2.02. Immediately after installing 2.02, i discovered that the auto-hide function of the task bar was behaving strangely. If you have auto-hide enabled, and then take a non-maximized window and stretch all four sides to the very edge of the screen, The taskbar will no longer pop up. It almost seems like the 'Taskbar always on top' flag gets turned off when the 'Auto hide' flag is turned on, but i'm just taking a guess here. This did not happen before the installation of the Win98SE SP. Anyone else here able to reproduce this bug?

haven't tried it (still running 2.0.1) but i might know how to fix it

Fixing the Taskbar & Start Menu

Booting up in safe mode will restore a hidden taskbar. This is because when Explorer starts in safe mode it sets it's some of its Start Menu and Taskbar settings back to the default.

so try booting into safe mode, remove your selections if present, and then reboot.

I believe i may have found a small bug in the Win98SE SP v2.02.  Immediately after installing 2.02, i discovered that the auto-hide function of the task bar was behaving strangely.  If you have auto-hide enabled, and then take a non-maximized window and stretch all four sides to the very edge of the screen, The taskbar will no longer pop up.  It almost seems like the 'Taskbar always on top' flag gets turned off when the 'Auto hide' flag is turned on, but i'm just taking a guess here.  This did not happen before the installation of the Win98SE SP.  Anyone else here able to reproduce this bug?

Probably, this problem is in the EXPLORER.EXE. If you try to revert back to the original EXPLORER.EXE, it should be fixed.

This bug that you speak of, IMO is (yet another) Microsoft bug. I am using the service pack, but I have the original Win98se explorer.exe and found the exact same thing DCipher was talking about. Wait, just a second... oh well, I guess that bug was fixed on newer os's (I just tried it on my w2k computer.) Again, that's only my opinion that it's an MS bug, but I'm pretty sure of it.

Probably, this problem is in the EXPLORER.EXE. If you try to revert back to the original EXPLORER.EXE, it should be fixed.

Yep, that fixed the problem! Thanks. Only thing is, now i don't get all the great new stuff you implemented in the SP explorer.exe (like the Win2k explorer.exe icon, and 256 color tray icons also seem to be disabled now). Any hope this auto-hide taskbar issue might be resolved in a future release? :)

Also, since i reverted back to the original explorer.exe, will this bring back the stability issues of standard Win98SE, or are those not related to explorer.exe?

Yep, that fixed the problem!  Thanks.  Only thing is, now i don't get all the great new stuff you implemented in the SP explorer.exe (like the Win2k explorer.exe icon, and 256 color tray icons also seem to be disabled now).  Any hope this auto-hide taskbar issue might be resolved in a future release?  :)

Also, since i reverted back to the original explorer.exe, will this bring back the stability issues of standard Win98SE, or are those not related to explorer.exe?

I think original EXPLORER.EXE also works well.

For 256-color tray icons, please look at this link.