Hows Windows 98se Doing These Days?

wizardofwindows

:thumbup i checked my site stats on one of my sites.below proving 98 aint dead yet..

Operating Systems Visitors % Total

Linux 25-0.21 %

Windows NT 10-0.09 %

Windows 95 22-0.19 %

Windows 98 2358-20.24 %

Windows 2000 443-3.80 %

Windows XP 7852-67.40 %

Windows ME 904-7.76 %

Windows 3.x 0 -0.00 %

Sun OS 4 0.-03 %

Free BSD 0 0-.00 %

Open BSD 0 0-.00 %

Net BSD 0 0.-00 %

IRIX 0 0.-00 %

AIX 11 0-.09 %

HP-UX 0 0-.00 %

Be OS 0 0-.00 %

Macintosh 6 0-.05 %

Mac OS X 7 0-.06 %

IBM OS/2 0 0-.00 %

Amiga OS 0 0-.00 %

Web TV 0 0.-00 %

Unknown OS 7 0-.06 %

Still lots of diehard fans afloat hail 98se!!!! B)

Edited by timeless

timeless,

Interesting stats. Is it possible to tell if any of those win98 users were using 98SE with Gape's unofficial SP2?

(Very interesting to see that there were more linux users than Mac OS X users!)

I grow weary of the bloat & excess eye-candy of XP (which I deactivate & trim with XPlite)

I am planning to resurrect an old PIII PC & install win 98SE with the unofficial SP2, & MDGX's tweaks & the 98 Revolutions pack.

There are some great tweakers on these forums! :yes:

Woah, 20%? On a lot of site stats I've seen windows 98 has been down to 8% or less, and 2000 was second highest. I've noticed on some stats that the amount of 2000 and 98 users is slowly decreasing year by year, while XP increases. It would be awesome to see win98 users increase again, now THAT would p*** off microsoft. :)

:no: the reason 4 the decrease is alot of older pc are being disgarded and of course all new pc ship with xp ,i figure if theirs programs created like gapes and mdgx etc its life will live on ,in time once all support is dropped by apps and games for 9x then we got problems ,so its always a good idea to archive all your 9x apps games programs patches etc etc and burn them to cd because in time **** that deaded time 9x related programs will become rare like win 95 stuff . remember 98 lives in all of us hail 98se. B)

Except for the newest computers that came out of the box with Xp installed,,,,,98/SE rules!

Between 95 and XP, 98/SE is the finest OS of them all.

I've had real success in tweaking it to perform very well indeed.

Give it enough RAM to use and tweak it to use that ram most efficiently and you have a nice running little system.

Out of my six computers (that still run) I have Windows 98/SE running on five.

Anyone who thinks that 98/SE is dead,,,,,just isn't living in the REAL world.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

I have a friend who is completely computer illiterate and needed help trying to repair his XP computer. He told me he hated XP and I told him that he could just reformat and change to a different operating system. He responded in a state of oblivian with "You can do that!!!???"

It's kind of sad, there's a lot of people who hate XP, but don't realize that they can (somewhat) easily switch to a different OS.

I've had some success in making windows 98 more stable on my hardware. But I have recently taken apart completely my new windows 98 computer because I've decided to rebuild it. I've have many stability issues with my computer, and putting windows 98 on it did not make anything better. So, for a couple weeks, I'm off 98SE, but once I can get my computer up and running again, hopefully 98 will run fine. (This is just a request but if anyone can tell me how the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard runs on 98SE, like stability issues, driver support etc. that'd be great.)

A7N8X-E it's apparently a very good board (some would say the Abit NF7-S v2 is better, maybe worth a look if your looking)

i have it's sister board an A7N8X-VM/400 (cause i wanted the backup of onboard video) the only propblem with these boards on 98SE is that they have so much tight intergration (and in the case of the A7N8X-E i suspect extra 'stuff') that IRQ conflicts can be a problem (at least that's my experience with my board)

might be worth reading around here - http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

to see if any of the issues you've been having pop up regularly,

however lots of people in the NF2 forum there rate the A7N8X-E very highly.

Edited by miko

Wait, no, I'm thinking about buying the Asus motherboard; the one I have right now is a Gigabyte one that's proved unstable with every OS I throw at it (especially windows 2000, bsod'd upon first boot).

Back to the topic: I don't think windows 98 will ever be dead, there's always going to be someone using it, somewhere. As for game and application support, that's dissapearing as fast as VHS. Leaving us, the one's who remain loyal to the OS to maintain it and attempt to make the software work on their system. Obviously it's a severe pain to get stuff that was never meant to run on old OS's to run on the OS's. I can now speak from experience, as I finally got GTA: San Andreas to run properly when I re-discovered the horrors of audio acceleration in the Control Panel. Software companies like Adobe, and especially Windows 98's creator, Microsoft have been rapidly dropping support for Windows 98 and Me. This is nothing new either, Office 2003, which was released 2 years ago doesn't even work (or isn't "supposed" to work) on 98. Along with Adobe Reader 7, but who needs either of those software titles. Office XP/2000 both work perfectly and as for Adobe, well, their's always an alternative. For compatibility, just learn from Linux. They've had an app out called WineX for years that has allowed Windows Apps and even highend 3D games to run on Linux. Possibly, someone might try the same thing for windows 98 or even 95. MS has dropped compatibility for most of their office applications, eventually IE, and apparently MSN Messenger, and you know what I have to say... GOOD RIDANCE!! Their's Mozilla Firefox (replaces IE), Office 2000/XP/OpenOffice.org, and their's GAIM, which has can replace MSN Messenger, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger...

Point Being: There's always an alternative

Edited by Jlo555

Wait, no, I'm thinking about buying the Asus motherboard; the one I have right now is a Gigabyte one that's proved unstable with every OS I throw at it (especially windows 2000, bsod'd upon first boot).

in that case check out the Abit NF7-S v2 if your in the market for an nForce 2 (i'm considering getting one) they're very cheap now too.

I researched that motherboard. Everything looks pretty good except for the driver support for, guess what? On Abit's site, they only have chipset drivers for 2000/XP. I guess that's a symbol of how 98se is doing these days. More companies are abandoning it day by day.