"To initialize the XPCREATE environment"

SoreGums

as per the readme.txt

"To initialize the XPCREATE environment, directories and initialization files,

double-click on XPCREATE.CMD. "

I run XPCREATE.CMD and it starts copying the source and going through the motions.... am I missing something or does it not init anymore?

Using August 20 version as well.

The earlier version used to do it well....

Silly me ... I did not update the ReadMe file.

I am not yet sure how I will resolve that, but for the moment, yes, you do need to manually create the directories you will need (SVC-* and SPACKS). What is the general consensus? Should I create the directories on first run if they do not exist, and quit? Shuold I check of the directories exist, or check if XPCREATE.INI exists? Any thoughts?

I agree; if it's no trouble then creating the dirs on the first run certainly makes the process smoother for the lame/lazy/biffs amongst us :D

Is there any intention to make a dlurl available again, or will that remain in the commercial product only? I miss that fantastic facility.

Thanks anyway for your huge effort; much appreciated.

I also appreciate creating the directories on first run.

(Makes life somewhat easier...)

Is there any intention to make a dlurl available again, or will that remain in the commercial product only? I miss that fantastic facility.

This question of airburst is a very interesting one and I'm also interested in an answer...

Greetings!

PS: Welcome back here GM! - I'm very happy to see new life in this "said-to-be-almost-dead" project! And thanks to Alanoll for keeping it running!

OK ... Current thinking is to initialize the XPCREATE Environment if XPCREATE.INI does not exist (it is also created upon first run), and then exit out with a message that initialization has completed. Might have to wait a week or two, though ... I am on the road at the moment.

Still no plans concerning the automatic download, but I will keep you posted.

Just a thought GM before I hit the sack (sleep - to those that dont know the expression lol), but hows about having the empty directories and a default xpcreate.ini file when you "install" xpcreate.

Sorry if theres a obvious reason why this aint no good, but it makes sense to me - no point running the script once otherwise (unless it sets something else on first run hehe)

Cheers

Nath

The reason it is not done by the "installer" is that XPCREATE did not have an installer: it was just a few files to add to a directory. The installer (which is, naturally, just an IExpress package) came about as a means to throw the EULA in the User's view, as it was, and still is, so blatently ignored. But, now that you mention it, I could quite easily add a post install command to do the initialization. It even seems to make sense (though I am not sure how you came up with it at 4 in the morning: must be weak beer!). So, there is a good chance I will create a seperate initialization routine, and call it right after installation (a.k.a. extraction).

Thanks for the input.

IExpress eh? - now there's a surprise ;)

Was gonna ask how you did the EULA but my brain kicked-in and reminded me of the stages of iexpress lol

lol @ weak beer :P - insomniac more like lol (plus i likes me spirits more.....*eyes-up his new bottle of 10yr old Glenmorangie*..... *drools*)

Glad to help as always GM :)

N.

I'm still thinking about this, and now I am wondering if it is as simple as I thought. I suspect that IEXpress leaves me in some TEMP directory, and not the install directory. If that is the case, I suppose I will have to dig deeper ... to be continued ...