Device drivers as naturally as possible ?

Necros

Hi all !

I'm seraching a solution to install device drivers from DVD without adding useless inf files.

Pyron's method is excellent but I can't make it run suddently... For sure i do an error somewere. But the registry key is limited to 4096 characters. I want as many drivers as possible on my DVD, I will quickly explode the 4096 chars limit :P

Device driver compression has the same limit, I tried to rewrite some parts if his script to merge compressed drivers on few folders (system, net, hdc...)

[big parenthesis]

Other features i tried tu add

-some chipset drivers (Ali) have many folders Win2000 ans WinXP as example, with the same INF file but a different set of files. a file mising, not required for 98 and required for Win2K is present only in the Win2000 subfolder

=> converted error : file missing into warning

- support fort CAB Files un SourceDiskNames and SourceDiskFiles sections

=> Matrox Parhelia drivers have a .cab file with required files inside

I failed to rewrite the script. on a large set of drivers, the script must parse some lines with a ampersand character (&) (not sure for his name :blushing: ) and it is recognized as a command separator in FOR /F () command.

I believe I reached the limit of batch scripting for winNT

[/big parenthesis]

I think it may be a good idea to write a inf file for each inf file found in my driver folder structure. All of these created inf files will be located in a unique folder, and will contain the HWID of his corresponding inf file. I want that the created inf file, by the PnP mecanism, install the original inf file and forces his execution by asking windows to rescan his host system.

Because I never analyzed a lot the inf file structure my first tries failed. Even with using other inf files as example. (rundll32 says that installation failed, but I don't know why)

I don't want to use the driver pack method because it increases the disk space needed by windows (drivers on HD) , and my DVD may not be available if a friend uses my disk and install a new piece of hardware later (drivers on CD).

I'm sure someone can give me some advices.