Service Pack

selwood86

Just a few suggestions:

1. Install only from the CD.....free from Microsoft

2. Clean up your hard drive, running Disk Cleanup and any other cleanup software you may have. Then do a defrag.

3. Shut down all running programs before running the Install CD.

SP2 is not just a patch or fix. It's a whole new version of Windows XP.

Get the CD and install it as soon as you can.

Cheers!

Andromeda43

1. You can download it and install it.

2. You can slipstream it, and upgrade your existing XP.

3. You can slipstream it and do a fresh install.

The top 2 options preserve your installed XP, while the last does not.

The 1st is suitable, but it advised to backup, in case it does not work as expected. Else the other options may need to be used.

To slipstream into the source is one command.

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /intergrate:<path to source>

Good luck.

From being 100% anti SP2 just a few weeks ago, the tables have now turned around to being pro. SP2.

I reinstalled XP Home and was speaking to technician and he re-assured me it's not as bad as made out to be. I installed it after XP Home and all was well.

There is one program Benign (B9) that I have not re-installed yet. It seems only MS will provide the fix required to make it run smoothly.

I would say, install it. :hello:

I think virtually all XP users should install SP2. I have not noticed any performance hit or any adveres effects whatsoever.

There's nothing to lose by installing XP SP2 as far as I can see. B)

When you've added SP2, consider Autopatcher on www.autopatcher.com

This adds all the latest post-SP2 updates. I discovered autopatcher recently on these forums. Its "sweeet", as they say :)

But.....its a BIG download, so you need to have broadband.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
From being 100% anti SP2 just a few weeks ago, the tables have now turned around to being pro. SP2.

I reinstalled XP Home and was speaking to technician and he re-assured me it's not as bad as made out to be. I installed it after XP Home and all was well.

There is one program Benign (B9) that I have not re-installed yet. It seems only MS will provide the fix required to make it run smoothly.

I would say, install it.  :hello:

what if you can't i've tried and tried i know i need it but i can't can i just slipstream it in?

Just use the service pack 1a. For the rest disable unneeded service and use firefox, you will never spk2.

Install it if you like stupid security warning like after running a file downloaded from intenet :D

I use this settint And I never had a virus since 3 years or any spyware or trojans.

If you are a newbie you should go with spk2, if not dont use it, it will lock you pc.

Edited by albator

Just use the service pack 1a. For the rest disable unneeded service and use firefox, you will never spk2.

Install it if you like stupid security warning like after running a file downloaded from intenet  :D

I use this settint And I never had a virus since 3 years or any spyware or trojans.

If you are a newbie you should go with spk2, if not dont use it, it will lock you pc.

i already use firefox as my browser i was just wondering if i really need it. i searched the web and found out it has something to do with my processor. and i've seen the secuirty warnings on my friends pc's it's like you can't download anything without the prompts warning you about what you are about to download. but isn't it a very important update for windows xp? :}