How to install programs that require activation?

Is it possible to use WPI to install programs that require activation or serials in order to install the program? If it's not possible to do so in WPI can I do it in Runonce or some other installer program?

I love the functionality of WPI, but I feel limited in that I can only use it for freeware programs and utilities.

Many thanks for any wisdom or knowledge you care to impart.

As I already said in another post, I use AutoHotKey to do the trick, the program records every mousemovement and every keystroke so you can save it to an exe, when you run that, it will automatically click the buttons you have clicked and thus will AutoInstall your app, then just let WPI run the AutoHotKey script. It won't work with some programs, but it will help you with a lot of them... Hope I've helped, if you're interested in a few scripts, please PM me... Grtz

Is it possible to use WPI to install programs that require activation or serials in order to install the program? If it's not possible to do so in WPI can I do it in Runonce or some other installer program?

I love the functionality of WPI, but I feel limited in that I can only use it for freeware programs and utilities.

Many thanks for any wisdom or knowledge you care to impart.

your not limited with wpi, your only limited by your own Enthusiasm, wpi can do every app out on the market, it uses the runonceex method, so all your programs will install its just up to you to be Enthusiastic enough to find ways to make the progs unattended, if they cant be done by a switch you can go the harder routes, autoit, custom build the installer, or use a simple basic program that reads your mouse movements,, but i owould only use that method as a last resort because it does lack a few what the other methods have and thats a true unattended method,

but my friend each to their own

best of luck

This vary in each program, Sometimes I installed and activate the application in virtual machine then copy the key from the registry and use it in WPI, other way is to get all files from the folder %allusersprofile%\appdata, or one more way is to install the app, activate it, then take backup of the appdir, %appdata% and all regkeys then make an installer with winrar self-extract.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i am facing the same issue as the OP.

I have made an unattended installation using msiexec. The application installs successfully but it needs a serial key entered.

Is the best practice to use something like AutoIt to then enter the serial key after the application is installed or is there a way to make the entering of the serial key part of the unattended install.

I havent found anything regarding serial key entering or setting different options for an msi package such as MS access 2002. Is there a way to provide a type of answers file like InstallShield?

At the moment my understanding is that you use a combination of autoit and a /qb switch for the basic interface of the unattended install to choose options.

Can anyone help out with these questions? :)

Make a clean installation of the application you want and enter the serial number when it asks for it.

After that check in the registry in the following keys:

HKCU\Software\..Appname...

-or-

HKCM\Software\..Appname...

maybe the serial number stored in these keys

You can backup the whole key for using it in WPI.

Remember that the key maybe encrypted or some applications stores the serial number in the %programdir% or in the %appdata% folders

We really can't help at all without the names of apps you are trying to install.

Sorry i didnt know if there was an easy way to do it with .msi installation method.

The programs in question are MS applications, specifically:

MS Access 2002

Visio 2002

Visio 2003

Project 2002

Project 2003

We use a site license for these applications so if the serial key entering part of the install could be included in the unattended installation of the application would save alot of time. Rather than having to open the program after installation and enter the key in.

Look here http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/browse.asp?cat=all

Looks like most of them can be deployed by creating admin installs.

Create a Admin-Setup:

setup.exe /a

Fill out all informations (Company, CD-Key)

After this installation you can use the created folder

for a silent installation:

msiexec.exe /i "drive:\path\visio.msi" /qn

Edited by kelsenellenelvian

Look here http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/browse.asp?cat=all

Looks like most of them can be deployed by creating admin installs.

Create a Admin-Setup:

setup.exe /a

Fill out all informations (Company, CD-Key)

After this installation you can use the created folder

for a silent installation:

msiexec.exe /i "drive:\path\visio.msi" /qn

Thanks dude i will try it out tonight !

Any help/tips with the other thread ? :)

hello again,

I used the /a switch and was able to create a package that doesnt need a serial key entered.

Now the next question is how to create an unattended package that allows you to have a typical install version so package a1 and then a second package which is not a typical install.

eg. when you create the package it remembers what options you chose to create it and then creates the unattended package.

Hope that makes sense !

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update to this thread -

Search for Office Resource Kit on the microsoft site. You can download the kit which will allow you to create an MST file based on an administrator msi you create. That way you dont have to enter any CD key and then the MST file contains all the options you selected.

Now if only all msi based packages had a resource kit to create an MST file :P

• 1 year later...

I hope I'm not too late for this topic. I used this http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=879 site suggested above for automated entering of serial numbers. The program is Finereader 8 Professional, and the problem is that the program gets installed in German instead of English. I don't understand why it happens, if you think it is possible to make this program be installed in English please suggest how can I achive that. Thanks.