UPS Hack

Gouki

But this way, I would still be working with just 1 battery. But When one finishied it would go to the other.

What I want is something that centers all the power in 1.

I dont see a way also ... :(

do u mean for examples, that each ups can last 10 minutes, therefore you want to make it so that you can have 30 minutes of total time? if so then the only way to really do it is what the 2nd post said. you could take them apart and somehow rewire them but that would be danerous if you have no clue what your doing, and i still dont even know how you would do it.

Its like this.

Im moving out of the house, and I live in a horrible stupid little island. Called Terceira, and placed in Azores. (Good luck finding it on Google Map :P ).

So, im moving out of the house for a couple of weeks, and I want my server to be on all the time. The problem is that electricity fails allot in here, and sometimes, more that 2 hours, so ...

If I had 1 UPS - to Another UPS - to another UPS

When the power failed, and then batteryof the UPS failed, it would go to the second UPS, etc ..

The problem with this situation is that, because the UPS doesnt automaticly turn himself on (the #1 UPS in this case) the other one (#2) would never have power again, and the same thing with #3.

I dont know if I mafe myself clear, but if not, ill try to expain a little bit better next time.

Thanks all

m8 it won't work if ya connect em all in series. the thing is gouki that every UPS battery has a certain discharge time.well by disassembling the UPS u can try sumthin like just using all the batteries in series just like u put cells into ur walkman but don't think that wud work.

Well the best solution for u is 2 just get an inverter which wud provide u a backup for around about 6 hours depending upon its capacity and it gets automatically recharged when ur electricity comes back and stays on.

the thing is inverters r a bit expensive but they r worth the cost.

Make your own ups. :D I seen a tutorial for this before. Take a car battery charger connect it to a decent sized car battery. Take A 12V -> 110V power inverter an connect it to the car battery also. Now the car charger charges the battery and the inverter draws from that battery. Power fails the charger quits charging. But, the inverter keeps running off of the battery.

In the article that I found, can't find it anymore, the guy had his computer, 17" monitor, printer, scanner, and portable phone base unit all running off of the car battery.

It ran for TEN freakin HOURS!!!! Sure it's a bit big and clumbsy. But, it's a heck of a runtime.

The only thing that I don't remember is the size of the inverter. I would probally at least go with a 800W.

Someday I plan on doing this. :)

EDIT: modem is powered by the computer. Phones are powered by the bell wire. Router can be hooked into the ups. DSL\Cable modem can be hooked into the ups also.

Edited by Aviator747

m8 it won't work if ya connect em all in series. the thing is gouki that every UPS battery has a certain discharge time.well by disassembling the UPS u can try sumthin like just using all the batteries in series just like u put cells into ur walkman but don't think that wud work.

Well the best solution for u is 2 just get an inverter which wud provide u a backup for around about 6 hours depending upon its capacity and it gets automatically recharged when ur electricity comes back and stays on.

the thing is inverters r a bit expensive but they r worth the cost.

Indeed. I would like to have an inverter, but like you said, expensive.

If the power goes out... wouldn't your phone/modem/router go out as well?

I did a little something and hooked my router to the UPS

Make your own ups. :D I seen a tutorial for this before. Take a car battery charger connect it to a decent sized car battery. Take A 12V -> 110V power inverter an connect it to the car battery also. Now the car charger charges the battery and the inverter draws from that battery. Power fails the charger quits charging. But, the inverter keeps running off of the battery.

In the article that I found, can't find it anymore, the guy had his computer, 17" monitor, printer, scanner, and portable phone base unit all running off of the car battery.

It ran for TEN freakin HOURS!!!! Sure it's a bit big and clumbsy. But, it's a heck of a runtime.

Someday I plan on doing this. :)

OMFG! Ten hours?! Thats all I need!!!!

My dad has a part shop for cars, he has A VERY BIG truck batterie I can use. The only problem is the inverter.

Edited by Gouki

that would not work, if you read the warning, it tells you not to connect them this way. Also taking them apart and hooking them in a series is a bad idea, because the circits that come with the ups will not be able to handle the extra load of the other batteries and hence cause a fire. If you have the one ups, install the monitoring software and tell it to turn off the computer when electricity fails and put the computer back on when the lights come back on.

Ya, from what I can remember it was that long. The only thing that you don't have is automatic shut down when the battery is about to die. Like the real thing does. If you were good in electronics or knew someone who was you could make a monitoring system fairly easily.

Man I wish I could find the article. :(

EDIT: You can get 12v -> 240v inverters too. If that is what your country uses. :) I would imagine they would be a bit less efficient. But, still. hehe

Edited by Aviator747