Custom Win98SE setup scripts (infs)

Skrib;

98lite is used prior to the installation his other product ieremove is used after. Both 98lite and the package at the top

use modified setup info files to produce a slimmed down 98. These files are placed in the 98 install folder along with the

installation cabs. Neither of these methods remove anything from the installation, when you place a modified resource

in the install directory it gets used instead of the original.

Modifying or removeing resources in the cab files is much more complex, if you look at one of the windows cabs with

a hex editor you'll find in the header a reference to the previous cab and the next cab. If you repack certain cabs it will

cause setup to fail because of the lack of this reference. If you use makecab from the cab sdk correctly you can produce

cabs that have this in the header but I have not done this myself. Maybe someone else on the board has done this already

and could explain the correct method.

From what I've read 98Lite is used *after* the Windows 98 installation, correct? Does the method here apply the changes to the installation files *before* install or does it slim down an already installed Windows?
Actually, no, you can do it before, which is often preferable.

As I have documented before, using 98lite or IEradicator to remove IE 5.0 in 98SE requires a counter-intuitive installation of IE 6.0 or 6.0 SP1 if you intend to update Outlook Express with any of the rollup-class OE updates to IE/OE.

Even if you install 98lite after, you still would have to not yet upgrade past IE 5.0, then let 98lite add/remove it and you should remove it, if the goal is IE 6.0/6.0 SP1.

Also, any shell-swap is now useless. Pick any you want, but be prepared to stay with the choice; the mere attempt to shell-swap [even to the currently used shell!] destroys the whole IE/IE 6/6 sp1 installation; you have to remove and start again [as I documented elsewhere] but it will work [after all that effort].

Can anyone help me with a small detail:

There is a bug when installing 98lite before: You lose the personal web server, no option, no nothing.

Is there a specific program to run that puts personal web server back? If this cannot be accomplished and you need PWS, this is a deal-breaker for using 98lite before/during and you must use after.

98lite initially doesn't address web folders, but after it's installed, that option appears [unchecked at first; you can enable it].

In 98lite, there is a checkbox for removing IE 5.0. This is technically correct, or at least initially. Problem is that IE 5.0 being seemingly present is a prerequisite for adding on Windows Update, which has also become an add/remove object. The fix, documented somewhere on litepc.net is to perform a registry patch that makes it appear that IE 5.0 is installed. [This is a registry setting meaningful only to 98lite.] You need to perform this if after IE 5.0 is removed/was opted out on a before-type install, you actually did put back IE, presumably a newer version. Checking the box will actually attempt to install IE 5.0 back, likely corrupting things if you have already installed a newer version! Thus, use the registry patch to set the checkbox, not the actual operation of checking it, etc.

cjl

CLASYS:

PWS can be reinstalled in Win98 SE by running:

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> Internet Tools -> Details button -> check Personal Web Server box -> click Apply/OK -> must have Win98 SE CABs available from CD or HD.

If u have any files newer than the ones from the CABs, you can answer "Yes" to keep newer files if prompted to do so.

HTH

• 2 months later...

CLASYS:

PWS can be reinstalled in Win98 SE by running:

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup -> Internet Tools -> Details button -> check Personal Web Server box -> click Apply/OK -> must have Win98 SE CABs available from CD or HD.

If u have any files newer than the ones from the CABs, you can answer "Yes" to keep newer files if prompted to do so.

HTH

1 better

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=551960

you can also install PWS from the \Add-ons\PWS\ folder of the Win98 FE/SE CD.