Windows 2000

ShadowSpeak

hey,

i am trying to uninstall Windows XP and install 2000 onto my hard drive. Since I cannot format the drive, and cannot open the 2000 disc (gets an error saying the OS is older than the current versiona dn will disable the setup) whats the ebst way to do this? I have already backed up everything i needed.

hey,

i am trying to uninstall Windows XP and install 2000 onto my hard drive.  Since I cannot format the drive, and cannot open the 2000 disc (gets an error saying the OS is older than the current versiona dn will disable the setup) whats the ebst way to do this?  I have already backed up everything i needed.

Try boot from Win2K CD instead, then choose re-partition & formating the original Disk, it's safer to do a totally clean install.....

If you do need to preserve personal data, backup the user profile before the reinstallaion.

Good Luck.

Godel

Well, I tried to just format the drive.  The option was greyed out every time i tried to do it.  And I also tried to boot from the windows 2k disc, that didnt work either.

Greyed out!? Are u booting from the CD and setting up partition on a blue screen!?

There is no way that text setup on Windows XP can grey out options.

It's certainly true that you cannot format the drive you boot to, but you most certainly can format any drive when you boot from CD. Is your BIOS setup to boot from CD first? :w00t:

It's certainly true that you cannot format the drive you boot to, but you most certainly can format any drive when you boot from CD. Is your BIOS setup to boot from CD first?  :w00t:

I set the bios to boot from CD. Instead of getting the "boot from cd by pressing any key" I get an error to reboot the computer or to insert the boot media and try again. I am thinking it is just the Windows 2000 disc, although it has worked in the past.

Is it possible to do a multi boot, and install Win 2K to a separate partition (only have one drive), then boot to the 2K, and Format the Win XP??

if w2k CD doesn't do it, use xp CD to format and repartition and when ask if you want to continute, choose No and restart computer.

put w2kCD in and you are in business.

or

partition magic

Edited by msfn11