Win2k Icons

Jlo555

I recently installed the unofficial service pack and I must say I was quite impressed by it, I can tell Gape put a lot of work into it. The only thing that I don't like is the windows 2000 icons. For some reason I just have to have the original windows 98 icons on my computer. Is there any way to avoid changing the icons after during installation of the service pack?

ok, ok, don't panic,

first off the relavent files have the icons hacked into them, so you need to replace them, these files are explorer.exe and shell32.dll.

go here and download CopyLock

http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc

download this update

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/down...829/default.asp

install it (or extract the Shel95.dll and rename it to shell32.dll and use CopyLock to put it in the right place (the 'windows/system' folder))

it should be version 4.72.3812.600 with a crc32 of bd29ebc3

next the explorer.exe

search the internet for IE4SHL95.CAB, (the ones from IE 501 SP2, IE 502, & IE 5.5 are all the same) extract the explorer.exe from this cab file and use CopyLock to put it in the right place (the 'windows' folder)

it should be version 4.72.3612.1700 with a crc32 of 255fb85e

if you want 256 colour icons in the tray just not the hacked in icons download a relavent hex edited explorer.exe from here - http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color/index.php

personally i just use SFC to restore the 98SE explorer.exe from the install files but that's a personal thing.

delete your ShellIconCache, log off and on, and the icons should be back to normal.

Edited by miko

Thank you very much. I was going to try this on my other windows 98se computer (primarily for testing), but something strange happened. I installed the service pack with the tabs "Updates", "TweakUI" and "Performance Tweaks" checked and rebooted. Everything I had checked was installed but nothing on the windows GUI changed at all. The icons, color scheme remained the same, along with the start menu, (only says Windows 98, instead of Windows 98 Second Edition) and the windows logo in the About Windows thing in My Computer. That seems kind of weird because when I installed the service pack on my other computer, the GUI did change those things. ::odd::

Explorer.exe = 4.72.3110.1 Copyright Microsoft 1997! Obviously that file is intacked.

Actually I'm not completely sure it installed ok, because the system hanged when it was installing tweakui, then windows, NOT the installer told me I needed to reboot, so I pressed OK. Then, right before the computer was shutting down another message popped up saying the service pack was done installing and that I needed to reboot. The computer rebooted, and here I am! I guess I'll go reinstall it and see what happens.

yup, its not installed properly, the SP installs 4.72.3612.1700 (with the icons & start menu banner hacked into it) 4.72.3110.1 is the original pre SP one.

in the 'Installation Guide for Win98 SE SP 2.0' topics first post -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=38193

Gape (SP author) says -

A freshly installed Windows 98 SE is highly recommended. If Windows asks for rebooting during step 8, don't accept it. You should reboot only after "Installation is now complete" message.

Well, uhh, that was a clean install. I reinstalled the service pack and everything went fine. I downloaded that program you talked about and used it to replace explorer.exe and installed that MS update, and everything worked fine. Thanks again for your help!

Oops, I didn't see that message about step 8 though. :wacko: Ahh, that's what I get for never reading instructions.

Edited by Jlo555

I'm just being a jerk (as I sometimes do) but...

I've actually never heard of anybody who didn't think each new set of Windows icons weren't better than previous ones. I'd take 2000 icons over 98's anyday, and I'd take XP's (heck, Vista's) icons over 2000 anyday.

On that note, I can send you some Win 3.11 icons and you can use those to replace your 98 icons :P

Edited by Rhelic

I've actually never heard of anybody who didn't think each new set of Windows icons weren't better than previous ones.

Well, now you have. Windows 3.11 icons...hmm, maybe at some point I could try that, even though I know you're trying to tease me, you don't need to send me them though, I already have a copy of Win3.11. :)

As a matter of fact, I believe so. Or at least I have the installation disks. I have just about all windows os's from 3.0 up to XP, so I could technically use icons from any of those. BTW, I'm not being sarcastic. For God's sake, I was only asking how to keep the original 98 icons, that's it. If I want the ones from other OS's, believe me, I'll find a way to get them. :yes:

Note: as silly as this sounds, I didn't realize I had two accounts on this board, as I post from different computers. Rhelic = TravisOwens

Well since you keep replying to my jokes, this post is worthy of something more serious.

I've been preaching on here for awhile about keeping SP2 pure and free of 3rd party (junkware?) as I feel the best thing Gape can offer is a true Win98SE SP and not another fly by night "this makes 98 cooler" package.

While I haven't mentioned it in the past, if you really want to be a purist I fully agree that installing new icons is going beyond the purpose of a true SP.

If I had it my way Win98SE SP2 would install ONLY Microsoft updates, and leave all the bells & whistles optional. Although it would be best IMHO if the pack detected specific items and recomended them such as if the HD is over a certain size, to recomend the user installs the 3rd party fixes to Defrag (or was that Scandisk?).

In summary, I feel the best part about SP2 is that it's a SP that MS should have released in the 1st place and Gape is picking up their slack. I applaud his work even though I probably nit pick him to death sometimes. I agree with your point about the icons and feel the problem lies that the pack shouldn't force non security/patch updates to your PC.

Edited by Rhelic