1. 1. What do you do to save gas?

• Drive Slower
    • Increase Tire Pressure
    • Avoid Fast Starts
    • Use Fuel or Oil Additives
    • Tune Up Your Engine
    • Change the Air Cleaner
    • All of the above

Just today I raised my tire pressure from 32#perSqInch to 36#..

Harder and firmer tires roll easier and cut down friction drag.  This increases gas mileage.

If the price of gas goes down,,,,so does my tire pressure.

But then you end up wearing out the middle of your tyres much quicker so, you have to replace youe tyres more often, just go with the manufactures recommeded settings for your weight and check regularly, you save gas and tyres at the same time

Tires,,,,oh yes those wonderful rubber donuts.

I get mine for just $25 ea,,,,pulled from county vehicles with only about 20% of the rubber worn off. So if I shorten the life of them a little getting better gas mileage, so be it.

So what's next?

Anyone got any revolutionary ideas?

I don't have a diesel, so I can't try McDonalds old french fry grease.

B)

OK,,,here's a tip that probably no-one will know of.

Q: How many of you know what an O2 Sensor is? (also called an Oxygen Sensor)

A: It's a device mounted in the exhaust system that measures the amount of free oxygen in the exhaust gases coming out of the engine. (on a V6 there will be at least two and maybe even three of these devices)

It's wired into your Engine Control computer where the computer uses this information to control the fuel injectors on the engine to get the best fuel to air mixture for the 'best burn'.

The O2 sensors on a brand new engine will actually run the engine just a little bit on the lean side of center. As the sensors become contaminated with impurities in the gasoline, they drift past center to where they are causing the engine to run rich (wasting fuel). For most cars, 60,000 miles is the time to change O2 Sensors to keep the engine running economicly.

I've changed O2 sensors on cars I've owned in the past and gained up to 20% increase in gas mileage.

These devices can be very expensive and usually will overshadow the savings in fuel costs. To replace all three on my car will cost me well over $300.

In years past when I drove a car with a four cylinder engine with only one O2 sensor, I've found a sensor for as little as $25 and installed it myself, for a significant savings. On my current SUV, the sensors (3) probably will NOT get changed before I trade it off for a smaller and more economical car. :lol:

Happy Motoring!

Andromeda43

Edited by Andromeda43

you dman yanks.. wtf do u call it gas when it clearly is a freeking liquiD???

it is bloody expensive here also, up to around 120c/L (AUD) which is **** expensive, considering most of the country drives v6 comodores and falcons :D

Cheaper than the O2 sensor would be to get a new air filter, or a bigger intake kit. This will help gas milage and may even give you a nice little extra kick of power in higher RPMs. (then again higer RPMs mean burning more fuel... just cant win :P )

• 2 weeks later...

i always time lights, drive on routes with less stops and are shorter, and i drive the speed limit. I fill it up when i think its likely to go up soon. I just try to be efficient, and drive peacefully. :) I think gas price increases are negligible to everyday consumer waste.

For years, we here in the US have had a very close personal relationship with our Automobiles. I've seen grown men cry like babies when something happened to their Ride.

We're used to just jumping in the car to run to the store, later run to WallMart, later run out for an evening meal, later run out for another six pack.

We can save a bunch of gas, by just batching our trips together into just one trip a day instead of three or four. I've started doing this and it Works!

Going into town, I've got a ten mile run down the interstate. I used to romp along with the guys in the fast lane at 80+. Now I cruise easy in the slow lane at 65. I just set the cruise control at 65mph and enjoy the ride.

A dirty air cleaner robs power because it takes horespower to pull the air through a dirty filter. But once the filter's replaced, the engine control computer will keep the air to fuel ratio the same during all driving conditions. That's what it's designed to do. So whether you're in Miami or Denver, the engine should run the same. NOT so with the old carbureted engines. They could really starve for air.

If O2 sensors could still be had for $25, I'd have mine changed in a heartbeat,,,,,,but, mine cost over $125 ea. and I think I will need three of them. I'd never see the savings on gas offset that high cost. So, I guess my O2 Sensors will just not get changed unless one fails completely.

Any novel ideas would be greatly appreciated. And, walking just isn't an option for many of us who live many miles away from just the most basic services.

Happy Motoring!

Andromeda43 B)

Andromeda43,

I agree 100% :thumbup Most americans are so lazy though. It takes time to plan out your day and consolidate your trips into a single trip. In america, time is $$$, and $$$ is the essence of life. Pretty sad huh :P It will take some pretty extreme gas prices to get people here to finally start to drive conservatively... and with all that is happening with hurricane Katrina, we will proabably be seeing these extreme gas prices VERY SOON!!! Personally, Im bustin' out my bike and am gunna start pedalin' my a** around as much as possible. :thumbup Just my 2 cents!!!

Cheezus420

P.S. I 2 have seen grown men in near tears over their cars... pretty sad sight

Edited by cheezus420

I am walking, take my bike and use the bus. Anyway it's my mom's car so except for the grocery it's not necessary.

But do you REALLY KNOW WHY GAS IS HIGH???

They always tell us about the barrel's price, and how OPEP lowered or augmented the production. But the actual crisis is not one about offer!!! The reason the prices went so high are the SPECULATORS!!! They justify their analysis with FEAR. Fear of what? Terrorrist attack after saudi king died, price go high, fear of maybe loosing a platform because of Katrina, price go high, fear of this, fear of that, fear that the rafineries stocks are low... Everything is a good reason to fear, and everyone runs at the stock market to buy buy buy at the hightest price. THAT'S WHY THE PRICES ARE HIGH.

The prices are artificially augmented by fear among the buyers, fear they like to keep cause even if they have to by their barrel at 70$ they know they will send the bill all the way down to us. STOP SPECULATION. Does anyone remember what 1929 was? A HUGE ECONOMICAL CRISIS because of the speculation, all the market was inflated and one day, everyone panicked, fear was too high and everyone wanted their money back and the market CRASHED. We don't want this to happen to gas cause yes it will be cheaper, but think about all the jobs lost in the petroleum industry, and in the car industry. We should just be reasonable, and think about a limited profit, a regulated pump price, and other measures to keep things away from both extremes.

You don't want to live in the UK, petrol is approaching a GBP per litre in some place, and is over 90p per litre everywhere else.

You don't want to live in Denmark either... as of today the price (for the cheapest) is 11.5 DKR ... which is ~1.93 $US or ~1.05 £ ... per litre that is... :(

I am walking, take my bike and use the bus.  Anyway it's my mom's car so except for the grocery it's not necessary.

But do you REALLY KNOW WHY GAS IS HIGH???

They always tell us about the barrel's price, and how OPEP lowered or augmented the production.  But the actual crisis is not one about offer!!!  The reason the prices went so high are the SPECULATORS!!!  They justify their analysis with FEAR.  Fear of what?  Terrorrist attack after saudi king died, price go high, fear of maybe loosing a platform because of Katrina, price go high, fear of this, fear of that, fear that the rafineries stocks are low... Everything is a good reason to fear, and everyone runs at the stock market to buy buy buy at the hightest price.  THAT'S WHY THE PRICES ARE HIGH.

The prices are artificially augmented by fear among the buyers, fear they like to keep cause even if they have to by their barrel at 70$ they know they will send the bill all the way down to us.  STOP SPECULATION.  Does anyone remember what 1929 was?  A HUGE ECONOMICAL CRISIS because of the speculation, all the market was inflated and one day, everyone panicked, fear was too high and everyone wanted their money back and the market CRASHED.  We don't want this to happen to gas cause yes it will be cheaper, but think about all the jobs lost in the petroleum industry, and in the car industry.  We should just be reasonable, and think about a limited profit, a regulated pump price, and other measures to keep things away from both extremes.

right on, most people think its due to terrorism or war or the weather, the truth is the people on wall street love coming up with excuses to raise the price of oil. The availibility of oil hasnt changed and is not going to, its a scam!