1. 1. What do you do to save gas?

• Drive Slower
    • Increase Tire Pressure
    • Avoid Fast Starts
    • Use Fuel or Oil Additives
    • Tune Up Your Engine
    • Change the Air Cleaner
    • All of the above

We just say Gas to avoid the repetition of the longer version, "Gasoline".

What's a Commodore?

I'm familiar with getting a Royal Falcon. :blushing:

Cheers mate!

B)

We say Petrol and not Gas. Petrol Station. People have natural gas connected to their homes for cooking, heating, etc. I don't known what you call gas, you know, the air stuff!! :P

I shop at Woolworths or Coles for my groceries and both offer a petrol coupon with 4 cents off a litre at their petrol stations. ( If you spend more than $30.)

*Below is a Holden Commodore. There are several models.

Commodore.jpg

Holden today confirmed that Monaro would be exported to the United States next year to take its place among General Motors’ flagship high performance vehicles.

The decision means Holden cars will be sent to America in volume for the first time since General Motors-Holden’s was established in Australia in 1931.

Monaro will be sold in America as the Pontiac GTO starting late 2003 as a 2004 model, reviving the nameplate of an equally legendary performance car in the United States.

Monaro.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You don't want to live in the UK, petrol is approaching a GBP per litre in some place, and is over 90p per litre everywhere else.

You don't want to live in Denmark either... as of today the price (for the cheapest) is 11.5 DKR ... which is ~1.93 $US or ~1.05 £ ... per litre that is... :(

I wish it was 1.93 $US here...it's ~2.90 $US here.

It's about $1.25 {94.5 cents US} in the Perth metro area per litre. But if you grocery shop at Coles or Woolworths and spend over $30.oo you get a 4 cents per litre discount coupon! :yes:

Live mid-market rates as of 2005.10.09 18:46:28 UTC.

1.25 AUD Australia Dollars = 0.945426 USD United States Dollars

1 AUD = 0.756341 USD 1 USD = 1.32216 AUD

I should point out two things:

A) a litre is smaller than a gallon, hence the sub $2.00 prices for a liter of gas are probably comparable to our just under $3.00. Either way it sucks for us all...

B) driving slower *reduces* your mileage. The faster you drive, the more ground your car covers for the same amount of gasoline/petrol. That's why highway mileage is always higher than city mileage. (that and you have stop-and-go in the city).

Soooo....

-I drive fast

-I have a small, fuel efficient car with an I-4

-I have it tuned regularly so that the gas mileage stays high

-I keep my tires inflated to just under the maximum

(I should also mention that quick acceleration also kills your gas mileage)

Edited by Phyridean

• 16 years later...
  • 9 months later...

First, I have to LOL that a thread from 2005 is on the active threads list.  Allowed, of course, just LOL.

According to here ( https://www.freewayinsurance.com/blog/auto-insurance/fact-or-myth-over-inflating-your-tires-increases-gas-mileage/ ), the decrease in fuel efficiency is 0.4% per 1-psi of under-inflation.

After reading several articles that aren't exactly DETAILED enough for the SCIENTIFIC MIND, this 0.4% seems to be when ALL FOUR TIRES are under-inflated 1-psi.

Anybody and everybody that has ever owned a vehicle knows that all four tires don't miraculously under-inflate symmetrically across all four.

Even if they did, how can any vehicle owner NOT "notice" all four tires being "half flat"?

32 to 40 psi is typical for a passenger car.  Let's run with 36.

Now deflate all four tires to 18 psi - HALF FLAT.  Foreget that this level of under-inflation is visible to anybody over the age of FOUR, let's drive on those HALF FLAT tires anyway.

At 0.4% per 1-psi, that 18 psi under-inflation affects our fuel efficiency by 7.2%.  Not to underestimate, that is a big number.

Per here ( https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/annual/showtext.php?t=pTB0208 ), a light duty vehicle is around 22 mpg in 2005.

According to here ( https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/11/general-motors-vehicles-averaged-23-mpg-in-2020/ ), the INDUSTRY average was 25 mpg in 2020 (GM's was 23, Honda's was 29).

25 mpg with a 7.2% loss brings us down to 23.

What percentage of people are "blind enough" to be driving around in a car with HALF FLAT ALL FOURS?

Just saying, this 2 mpg loss by such a tiny portion of the driving population isn't exactly going to "save the planet" from the doom and gloom the environmentalists forecast.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Rolling resistance is higher with under-inflated tires, so engine has to work harder, hence consumes more fuel.

It's also the decreased diameter of the under-inflated tire and the engine rpm relative to the transmission rpm relative to the tire rpm.

Unsure which has a greater effect.

Bike owners (be it mountain bike, skooter, or motorcycle) can attest to how much more leg power is needed to peddle on under-inflated tires or push-reverse a motorized motorcycle on under-inflated tires.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

First, I have to LOL that a thread from 2005 is on the active threads list.  Allowed, of course, just LOL.

That's one thing I do like about this forum. What I don't like, and apparently MSFN is the kind of forum that attracts certain kinds of unpleasant folks (especially in recent years) and as such need such rules in place. I know one highly technical forum out there where you can eg. talk about Ukraine in off-topic and not only no forum user complains about off-topic on a technical forum, they don't need rules in place prohibiting politics talk. Though that forum is much more active than MSFN, even though they have cca. 25k less users in the database than MSFN.

Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe motorists are just more pleasant folks than computerists? I still bet on the former. One member here recently said something along the lines you can't really have normal conversation on this new MSFN anymore and I tend to agree, but it seems to go way beyond MSFN, it's more like new world.

Regarding tire pressure, I suspected smaller differences from the recommended don't make much of a difference in the grand scheme. I wonder though, one mechanic I know about, he thinks "2.4 bar is enough for you since you drive alone and don't carry any luggage". The sticker says 2.5 bar on both front/back and 2.7 on the back if car is loaded with more people + luggage. I guess most would say 0.1 bar doesn't matter anyway. Then there's also factor of wear and tear, which may be uneven with non-optimal pressure. But when it comes to small differences, I imagine tire naturally deteriorates with time that you need to replace anyway before it would get bad due to use, except maybe if you drive a lot.

I'd need about 2 decades to get to 200000 km with current needs, then you look at used cars for sale and some have over 300000 km when they're just 5 years old.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Just saying, this 2 mpg loss by such a tiny portion of the driving population isn't exactly going to "save the planet" from the doom and gloom the environmentalists forecast.

I learned in recent times tires leave small bits of themselves on the road. Also watched the documentary that said sea levels may rise quite a lot in the following decades.

Also there was apparently another crisis around the time when this thread was made that inspired part of the lyrics of Rammstein's Benzin: