Optimize unattended installation speed.

Probably the easiet, is to reduce the size of the overall image... there are several directories you can remove to knock off about 150mb... afterall, I believe the whole disk is copied to the HD during setup, so reducing the size, will reduce the time involved.

i386/lang (99mb) is one of them,and perhaps the largest... depends on your needs, Ive certainly never had any probs after removing this from the install, also support, valuadd, winntupg (and some others I cant quite remember)...

I believe there are other progs like nlite, which can strip other stuff out, Im sure Ive heard of a <200mb Ua install cd.... mine is just under 400mb, but contains no apps, yet.. just the XPSP2 install...

Can someone confirm that this reduces install time?

My apps/drivers are on the root of DVD under APPS and DRIVERS dir, Im pretty sure these are not copied. But reducing size of i386 might work? Please confirm what to remove, how and if it works.

Make sure, if you are starting from DOS, that you use SMARTDRV disk caching with 2MB of cache for the C: drive and the CDROM drive. It makes stage 1 (copying files in DOS) significantly faster.

I also agree with copying all files to the hard disk BEFORE you run WINNT (the XP setup application in DOS). I copy all XP files, addons, apps, etc. to a D: partition in DOS before a single install takes place. It really helps speed.

Here's how you set SMARTDRV up:

1. Get or create a Windows 98/ME DOS startup disk.

2. Find SMARTDRV.EXE that matches the version of DOS that's on the disk. In other words, if you have a Windows 98 DOS disk (my faviorite), then find the version of SMARTDRV that Win98 came with.

3. Copy SMARTDRV to your floppy, let's assume a:\

4. In the floppy's AUTOEXEC.BAT file, add this:

smartdrv.exe C+ D+ /V 2048 2048

This will set up SMARTDRV to setup a 2MB cache and apply it to C and D (assuming your hard disk is C: and your CD is D: - you can add as many letters as you have drives that can be seen in DOS).

JP

Edited by JPamplin

another thing that would help you is to unpack all the cab files (??????.??_).

with this you'll reduce the time expended unpacking files.

mainly you better reduce your installation or install everything from the HD

Use multiple sources at once:

winnt32.exe /s:sourcepath

Specifies the location of the Windows files. To copy files simultaneously from multiple servers, type the /s:sourcepath option multiple times (up to a maximum of eight). For example:

winnt32 /s:server1 /s:server2

If you type the option multiple times, the first server specified must be available, or Setup fails.

Install from HD:

winnt32.exe /syspart:drive_letter:

On an x86-based computer, specifies that you can copy Setup startup files to a hard disk, mark the disk as active, and then install the disk into another computer. When you start that computer, it automatically starts with the next phase of Setup. You must always use the /tempdrive parameter with the /syspart parameter.

another thing that would help you is to unpack all the cab files (??????.??_).

with this you'll reduce the time expended unpacking files.

mainly you better reduce your installation or install everything from the HD

I thought this was confirmed to increase or do nothing to the install time... i KNOW i read about it in the forum somewhere

@Fascix, yep, readed too. btw, on my setup it doesn't happen.

unpacking files certainly speed up installation, i suppose that more file size implies more time copying files. it just depends if time expended copying files is faster than time extracting files and in my system i suppose it is indeed :P

you can give it a try, you can bennefit from it if you have a med/hi specs system :)