Unnoficial Windows Millenium Edition Service Pack

mitchellovision

If you like Windows Millenium Edition, please read on... ;)

Many people hates Millenium Edition. I don't blame 'em. It's a bunch of freggin' crap put together sloppily. But why do I use it, my friend? I'll tell you. :yes: Windows Millenium Edition is my favourite OS, then Vista, then Neptune, then 2000, XP, 98, 95, and then finally 3.11. I always wanted to fix up Me by originally replacing FAT32 with NTFS, and stirpping DOS out of it. That was back in 2002. Now...that dream will come true. This is the command to strip DOS from an OS:

tr -d '\r' < in > out

Currently I am searching for intergrating NTFS support in Windows Me, but I cannot find it on google. :unsure: Interesting! :yes:

This time...dirtwarrior and I will be in charge of this thread. We will make Windows Millenium Edition one of the best OS's ther is to come. Windows Me will succeed 98SE. I'll make sure of it.

--edit-- I think that I have to edit alot of files for NTFS intergration. Whatd o you think? If you know some files that needs to be added, re conprogrammed for NTFS support, please do let me know. Thnx!

Cheers!

Edited by mitchellovision

There's no such thing as the best OS out there, or the worst OS. There's only popular opinion. Some people say they think XP is the best OS out there (frankly, I hate XP). Your opinion of an operating system is what you make of it. That in a nutshell is why I hate XP and love 98SE. I have sort of a neutral opinion on Me, because I never ran into any of the bugs that a lot of people speak of and it never crashed on me, (mainly because I had it on a computer I rarely use for about a week.) IMO, 98SE is the best and XP Home is the worst... the absolute WORST.

My MS OS ranking: 98SE, 2000, XP Pro, 95, 3.1, DOS, XP Home

From what it sounds like, you're making the home version of windows 2000 that MS was originally intending to make, but never did.

Windows Me will succeed 98SE

From what I saw on Me, that's already happened. According to Microsoft, that was the main point of Windows Me, and they *somewhat* succeeded. Windows Me would've been a lot better/more stable/more used OS if Microsoft had spent another year producing it, and put off the production of XP.

What became of Neptune is WinMe. Many pieces of Neptune were backported into Win9x, which is really what WinMe is... a backported piece of crap.

Another year of production wouldn't have made any difference - had Microsoft continued production on Neptune, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now...

and what program does

tr -d '\r' < in > out

work with? DEBUG? I'd really like to know, as there isn't any app that I know of called 'tr' ...

tr is a unix command to translate or delete characters from stdin and write to stdout. Often used for patching source code by replacing or deleting sections of text. Certainly not a magic DOS remover. For instance this command would delete all carraige returns (\r).

Edited by dman

ah, ok. As always, I'm thinking DOS/Windows-platform specific apps...

I'm truly doubtful that mitchellovision knows what he's talking about in this case... (or from what I've read, any case).

However, I did dig up some documentation on how to ADD REALDOS back into WinXP... in a sense. It involves a debug command to be run on the BOOTSECT.DOS file, and a bit of file copying to and from floppy...

Link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=53599

mitchellovision,

May be this is a silly question, but wouldn't it be better to concentrate on one project at a time?

If you finish the windows ME SP, I would be interested, amongst many others, I suspect. However, having recently discovered that you have 2 or 3 "projects" on the boil at the same time, I'm not sure what to think! :huh:

Call me old-fashioned......

Edited by wild weasel

I have tried all the Win98 fixes and unofficial service packs, and my opinion is that a properly setup and configured WinME will blow the doors off any form of 98. Here's what I mean by "properly setup and configured.":

Use IEradicator to remove IE 5.5, which is crap. Install IE6 SP2 if you wish, but my decision is to leave it out completey, and use Firefox.

Use OPPCOMME (from beta10.com) to completely remove all the following from the Windows Setup dialog box:

System Restore

Windows Help

OOBE

and everything else that appears as a removable item in Windows Setup, with the exception of WMP 6.4. It is completely safe to remove all these.

Unhide DOS with the Real DOS mode patch from http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/. Now you can use your autoexec.bat and config.sys files just like in Win98.

Get rid of Outlook Express and replace it with the latest version, or leave it gone (my choice.)

Now you will basically have Windows 98 on steroids - faster, "smarter", and more stable. I've been running this setup for almost 5 years with no problems.

Edited by donutbandit

Sorry If I startle you about this....but the Me forums will be shut down due to the erver that i created ME SP on will be shut down in a week or so...so I'm not too happy about that. So whoever goes to the link for the forums...please note that it will not work....as I am about to shut it down very soon. Thanks for your undertanding. :thumbup It's so nice to have friends that trust me. :yes:

win98se rules lol if u removed pc health etc etc from Me you end up with 98se ..you know what i hate about Me its the browser toolbar too small.
That will be done. I'll make it an option in my SP to make browser toolbar bigger. ;)
I have tried all the Win98 fixes and unofficial service packs, and my opinion is that a properly setup and configured WinME will blow the doors off any form of 98. Here's what I mean by "properly setup and configured.":

Use IEradicator to remove IE 5.5, which is crap. Install IE6 SP2 if you wish, but my decision is to leave it out completey, and use Firefox.

Use OPPCOMME (from beta10.com) to completely remove all the following from the Windows Setup dialog box:

System Restore

Windows Help

OOBE

and everything else that appears as a removable item in Windows Setup, with the exception of WMP 6.4. It is completely safe to remove all these.

Unhide DOS with the Real DOS mode patch from http://www.geocities.com/mfd4life_2000/. Now you can use your autoexec.bat and config.sys files just like in Win98.

Get rid of Outlook Express and replace it with the latest version, or leave it gone (my choice.)

Now you will basically have Windows 98 on steroids - faster, "smarter", and more stable. I've been running this setup for almost 5 years with no problems.

98 on steroids eh? Sounds good. I can do that. However...deleting System Resotre will be an option...as it is useful at times. Even thought you'd guys tell me to leave it out completely...this is a little trick of mine to make Windows Me's System Restore use less memory:

1) Get the Me System Restore Patch.

2) Set limit of Resotration space to 1.5 gigs.

3) Clean System Restore's "junk" out of the C:\RESTORE folder...and start fresh again.

4) Check out this website: http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html. This will tell you how to make Windows Me fatser with System Resotre still on Me. It's a great site to look at after these 3 thigns have been done. I will do this for the Me SP...and maybe add a few tweaks here and there.

Again...thanks for your understadning and co-operation. :yes:

Edited by mitchellovision

• 4 months later...

I know this is a dead thread and seems to be a dead issue, and I'm not trying to bump up a dead thread. I just want to comment on what I failed to see the first time I read this thread:

You want to strip DOS out of Windows ME? Impossible, because all Win9x OS'es are just fancy GUIs for MS-DOS. Microsoft tried to hide DOS as much as they could in ME, but it's still there and still necessary.

Don't believe it? Take away command.com and tell what your results are when you try to boot Windows ME.

I will save you time by telling you. You will get an error message, and DOS will revert to it's earliest roots: the old CP/M A> prompt.

A>

Currently I am searching for intergrating NTFS support in Windows Me, but I cannot find it on google. :unsure: Interesting! :yes:

Check out this

NTFS for Windows 98 is a NTFS file system driver for Windows 95 and Windows 98. Once installed, any NTFS drives present on your system will be fully accessible as native Windows 98 volumes. This version provides read-only capabilities.

NTFS for Windows 98 works on the following versions of Windows:

Windows 95

Windows 95 OSR2

Windows 98

Windows 98 SE

Windows Me