Buidling a QUIET PC - little help pls!

DrowningInTheBS

Amazing! These suggestions have been great thanks. It has been keeping be pretty busy following up the leads here - I had not seen any reviews of the fanless graphics cards, and am well impressed by the GV-RX80L256V for it's all round abilities... I'll put together a few links to show you the results of all your hard work!

Well, for the best longevity,

Look to amd's site, click the x2 link, and look for recommended motherboards.

Select the highest CPU speed (but buy the slowest for now).

Next, cross reference the board against the windows logo. Now you should have a board and system to see you to Vista SP1.

If you're doing video editing, the ATI 2006 edition is a good starting point.

Yep - I'm thinking the same way - the CM Stacker 810 will have room for a small watercooling soln, such as from CM themselves. It can fit in the bottom of the case instead of a second psu. That is just a future possiblity though - I am really not confident enough to build a water cooled system

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=e...20Stacker%20810

omfg! im looking at the flash demo of it, it has 2x120mm rear fans! so need to get this case and put a heatcore there!

edit: crap, thats only if nothing on the mobo will block it! i cant wait to see reviews on this

Edited by ripken204

Ever wonder why modern washing machines don't have a hot rinse cycle? Turned out the energy required to heat the water cost/was more than the time/cost it took to dry the clothes. Hence, you could save a minute or two, but the time was not worth the cost.

The moral, using too many fans decreases the overall efficiency. I suppose the question is, does a CPU at 30-39 C run better than one from 40-49 C.

I'm pretty sure the cool n' quiet technology has quite a bit to do with cycles on demand. hmmm...

Case wise I personally like the Thermaltake Tsumani

Has 120mm in and out plus a 92mm above the cpu on the case. Comes in silver/black and windowed/not.

http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/tsunami/tsunamimenu.htm

It's about £70-£75 in UK. (That's $130~ might be cheaper in US I don't know.)

But if you want it totally silent and money's no problem...:

0dB system!

Some Zalman products are pretty good, I've had a flower for the last 2 years and it's the quietest and coolest 2500+ XP I know! Plus the northbridge coolers work well to cut those whining 40mm fans.

Other solutions are to fit the fans with 7v or 5v, which makes them quieter. Simple to do yourself or a cheap mod to buy. Maybe a rheobus or fan controller, varies from simple 3 way switches or knobs to an LCD screen with thermistors and probes!

Get some soundproofing material, grommets for fans to stop resonance.

The list is endless !

www.quietpc.co.uk has some products that may give you ideas - pricey but useful resource.

Edited by Pikea