In the market...

PUnitBabyDaddy

My cable company came out yesterday because I was experiencing slooooow speeds on a 4mb connection. Well I do run through a router which is 3 yrs old. They gave me about 40ft of CAT-6 ethernet cable and a few ends and suggested I try switching the cabels then a new router. I did and it helped nearly half a meg at the most and still a noticable increase at peak hours.

Anyways I need to know about a decent router. Any suggestions or favorites? The cable dude told me about a Linksys at Fry's for 75 bucks but I can't find a link to it so I'd have to go check it out. But if I had some ideas on what to look for in a router that'd help me too. I just need a basic 4 port router.

Thanks!

I have the BEFSR41, and it works great. I have also setup NetGear and D-Link routers, which are fairly simple and secure also. I worked on some no-name ones, and I wouldn't think they would last too long with how hot they run. If you stick with the major brands you should be ok.

Please keep in mind that a router may help your speeds but the root of your problem may be the way that a cable system works when providing internet service. A certian amount of bandwidth is sent down the main cable that runs through your neighborhood and everyone that has a cable modem on your cable run draws off of that bandwidth. Can you track your slow performance to a certian time of day? If so you need to tell your provider, your equipment isn't the problem theirs is. I have DSL and although my speed is 3.5 meg it it constant, my telephone line is optioned for eight meg can't waite. DSL doesn't share bandwidth, i cna except a slower speed if it is constant. Hope this helps.

Good Luck.