Problems Networking

John. M

Ok I am trying to network a Windows XP machine and a Windows 2000 machine so that they can share an internet connection. I plan on useing the Windows XP machine as the host pc but what my problem is, is that they are not connecting. I have no hub or router but I have 2 ethernet cards in both pcs. I have tried the "Set up a home or small office network" and I have had friends help me on msn to set it up manualy and nothing is working.

Please help me out as I am totaly lost here.

Thanks

John

yea i know what i am doing, the are connected with a cable and i have used the setup and tried it manauly configuring the ips and gateways but still nothing :( i know the nics are not bad because i have tested all of them with a direct connection to the intenet.

yea i know what i am doing, the are connected with a cable and i have used the setup and tried it manauly configuring the ips and gateways but still nothing :( i know the nics are not bad because i have tested all of them with a direct connection to the intenet.

When you start the pcs, is there a notification balloon on network connection icon in system tray inticating 'Now connected at 100 Mbps'. If it is not there then the cable is faulty. And if it is there then let me know the IP addresses you are manually setting up. It should be in the range for example '192.168.0.1' (server) & '192.168.0.2' (client).

Pawan

hmmm yea I know what you saying, but there is no boxes that popup, they don't show that they recieved or sent anything either except for the pc that i would like to share my connection with, it does send out packets but gets nothing back.. it couldn't be the cable too cause i tried different ones.... and I have my lan ips setup the exact way you discribed above.

Edited by John. M

You mention you have 2 nic's. Are both nic's in each PC being used. Are these computers connected to the internet?

When you open the network connection folder.. does it have the red X or say cable disconnected.

What IP addresses are you using for it?

Are you using a crossover cable the 2 computers..

• 2 weeks later...
hmmm yea I know what you saying, but there is no boxes that popup, they don't show that they recieved or sent anything either except for the pc that i would like to share my connection with, it does send out packets but gets nothing back.. it couldn't be the cable too cause i tried different ones.... and I have my lan ips setup the exact way you discribed above.

The simplest way to overcome this problem is to format and reinstall your windows. Many registry cleaning software usally delete the registry entries required by these connection's. Also check your cable, is it twisted pair or straigt one.

The later one is used for connecting computers through hub.

Attached is the image for your reference.

Pawan

Edited by pawan