Operating System Suggestion

GreenDazed

I just got a hand me down, but overall better PC. Pretty speedy too, P4 1.6, and it's got a Radeon X800 64MB, but one problem, it only has 128MB RAM and it's RDRAM!!!

I was wondering what OS you would suggest using. So I'm thinking about install 98SE/ME since some games such as Morrowind and Sims 2, will run on 128MB RAM as long as you are not running XP/2K. I just don't like how the FAT32 file system can cause corruption so often and how I can't just plug in a USB device and have it work.

So basically what I'm asking is which of the following, in your humble opinion, would be the best to install on a PC with these specs?

Pentium 4 1.6Ghz

128MB RDRAM

60gb HDD

20gb HDD

ATi Radeon X800 64MB AGP

Soundblaster Live!

Braodband Internet (DSL)

Choices:

-98SE (With that awesome Unofficial service pack of course.)

-ME

-XP PRO(despite lacking amount of memory)

Thanks!

RDRAM isn't that cheap... but I'd still suggest getting some more and looking into nLiteing the stuff that you know you won't be needing. Don't do anything hardcore if you're not looking for trouble.

That CPU with only 128m RAM, will run XP, but slower than a 15yr old three-legged dog.

You'll need at least 512 megs to run XP effeciently.

ME just SUCKS, :no: so that leaves 98/SE with the unofficial service packs.....there's a second one out, ya know. :yes:

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

Windows 2000 running great for me

1.8 Pentium 4, 364 MB of RAM

If you are not getting any more RAM, try nliting 2000 or XP

2003 is also pretty good to turn into desktop mode.

You can follow this guide:

http://nexle.dk/daniel/win2000-32mb/

It should work for xp as well. At least some of it. I used the program X-Setup and am using the "classic mode" that it suggests. I think it uses a shell similar to WinNT and really has cut back on the resources. :thumbup

One more thing: Don't disable the Event Log. If you do, it will take longer to boot up once you get past the Windows 2000 screen. At least in Win2k. Don't know about the rest.

Edited by Anonymo

Unless nlite is realy making dramatic changes (I don't know because I didn't use it so I let the option open), IMO with 128MB of memory, W98SE-uSP2 is by far the best solution.

You will also enjoy the full performance of your P4.

Check the Maximus Decim in the w98 forum for unversal USB device compatibility...

Edited by Fredledingue