Programs running in 32 or 64 bit?

Hi

Im running XP 64 bit and i have 1 SATA drive partitioned so the operating system is on a 20 Gb and 180Gb is left for my programs. If i install my programs on the 180Gb partition will they run in 32 or 64 bit mode?

Thanks

Would where you have it stored make any difference? It should run in 64-bit (as long as the programs are 64-bit compatable).

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG THOUGH!

Edited by tjhart85

Nobody answered his question! When you install Window XP X64 Edition it creates two folders called Program Files and Program Files (X86). 32bit applications including the games you have to install in Program files (X86) folder, and Program Files folder is for 64bit applications. So, I wonder like the guy who posted this, what will happen if I install 32bit game on second hard drive or second partition. Let's say D:\Games\UT2004 for example?

Are you able to do something like that, or you're gonna be forced to install it in C:\Program Files(x86)? If so...WinXP X64 is not for me, actually not for anybody...

The two different Program Files folders are just to make it easier for people to figure out where stuff is.

The puter doesn't care what folder a program is in, it is going to execute it based on what is in the executable's header info (e.g. what runtime library it was compiled with)...not it's file path.

The two different Program Files folders are just to make it easier for people to figure out where stuff is.

The puter doesn't care what folder a program is in, it is going to execute it based on what is in the executable's header info (e.g. what runtime library it was compiled with)...not it's file path.

Thanks...it answered my question. It means i can give it a try....

Running AMD64 here...

The location of installation doesn't make any differance in PE (program Executable)

if the PE is a x64 or 64 bit on it run as 64 bit app by XP

if it is 32 bit PE it will run as 32 bit PE

if u want know how the PE is running open Taskmanager and look the "Processes" tab

for 32 bit apps an "*32 " extension is give at the end of it name ,it indicates the app is an 32 bit app.

To Dale 5605:

it is an general statement and not specifically for xp x64

*nix variants like Linux ,FreeBSD ,etc can run 8bit to 64 bit apps while running in 64bit mode