non-english characters problem

hello friends :hello:

its me again with new questions :)

my computers language is turkish which includes non-english characters like ı,ş,ç etc. and consequenty in my cleanup.cmd i have non-english characters. but it doesnt work. :( somewhere i have seen a solution to this situation in a way that writing them in 8+3 dos format but i dont know how to convert the such names into dos format.

can you help me about it pls ? can you give me a general solution to such solutions? thanks in advance

There is some special characters to replace with your ı,ş,ç etc. so the solution is to replace the non-english characters with some standard replacement characters. At least that is what works for Norwegian characters.

Don't know what exact replacement characters you have to use though.

Have your cleanup command file include the "non-english" characters as normal. (The file within you try to delete the shortcuts from your desktop) Save and close.

Type "edit.com" (without "") in run (start menu -> run)

Click Open and browse to the file that contains the "non-english" characters. When you have the file open you will see that the "non-english" characters are replaced with the correct characters/symbols. What you see here is what you are to use in your file... Get it?

Good tip asbsamsf... Credz...

hello friends

i have tried what you've told me to. but it didnt work out :( . here's what i've done:

i opened the cmd file by means of edit.com and saw the the non-eng characters then i replaced them by using charmap and saved as unicode text in order to keep changes. then i converted to cmd again. but when executing nothing happens. i've checked whats going on within cmd by opening a cmd window and executing from there my cleanup.cmd. (meanwhile i must state that the characters i've changed was looking in anotherway not as i expected [ş,ç,ü,ı])and i saw that it interpreters even the normal commans in another way and give error message saying that "no such command is known"

can you tell me pls whats wrong with it or suggest an other way to figure it out ?

thanks in advance :)

I do it this way, for my danish install.

Start> Run> edit.com

Type those special characters you may need.

Then save your input in edit.com> File> Saveas

Open That file using Notepad.

Copy and Paste from new file to your cmd.

æ ø å become ‘ › †

I don´t think you can use edit.com as an editor, like we use notepad.

• 4 months later...

Hi darksimoon,

the point is: if you want to edit cleanup.cmd (or RegOnceEx.cmd) by means of a Windows program, be sure to use one that can select the Terminal font.

Just type whatever you like in your language with all the necessary extra characters that you'll need.

After concluding your edition, you'll still notice weird characters if you try to browse the .cmd file. Don't worry. You'll probably read the right characters when the time comes.

For someone else reading this: if the Terminal font on your system does not provide the letters you need, you'll most likely not be able to edit .cmd files and read the right characters later.

Languages probably affected by this limitation are several saami languages, several celtic languages, maltese, kashubian, frisian, galician, non-slavic cyrillic-alphabet-based languages, azeri, armenian, georgian and many others.

Most northern-, western-, central-, eastern-european languages, hebrew, arabic, farsi, urdu, japanese, korean, many chinese languages, thai and vietnamese should work just fine.

Peron