Windows Millenium Hotfixes problems

eidenk

Hi all would be ME service packs creators and others,

I've just finally installed (almost all) MS hotfixes for Windows Millenium edition I could find. I had just installed one so far and now there are 46 of them.

The only ones I left out are SP18469 which applies only for laptops and KB891711. I have not installed Petr's Microcode unofficial update either yet.

Q252185 Cannot Record, Control, or Play Digital Video Properly with 1394 FireWire

Q263816 PCMCIA Card Service Unavailable in Device Manager After PCMCIA Adapter Is Connected

Q269874 DCOM IStream::Write() Corrupts Data with No Error Return

Q271264 Power State Icon on Taskbar Indicates Incorrect Battery Charge at 100 Percent

Q271434 Mshdc.inf File Is Not Digitally Signed in Windows Me OEM Build

Q272016 Cannot Stay Connected Using America Online (AOL) with Windows Driver Model (WDM) Modem

Q272620 Negative Hard Disk Free Size Reported on Virtual Memory Tab in System Properties

Q272991 Issues Accessing or Using Network Resources in Windows Millennium Edition

Q273017 ScanDisk Runs Even Though Windows Shut Down Correctly

Q273727 Denial of Service Possible on an IPX/SPX Protocol Using the Name Management Port

Q273991 Patch Available for "Share Level Password" Vulnerability

Q274113 Patch for WebTV for Windows Announcement Listener Vulnerability

Q274175 Error Message Opening or Copying File from Folder Eight Levels Deep on CD-ROM

Q274370 Error Message on a Blue Screen When You Try to Play Digital CD Audio

Q274548 Patch for "HyperTerminal Buffer Overflow" Vulnerability in Windows 98, Windows Me

Q275873 Sleep Button and Power Button Have the Same Functionality

Q277628 "Error 5 Access Denied" Error Message When a Program Tries to Alter Last Access and Creation Time

Q278031 Dial-Up Connection to VPN Server May Not Work

Q278289 Unable to Properly Install a USB Device

Q279866 Iphlpapi.dll Error Message with a 16-Bit Windows Sockets-Based Program

Q280127 Windows Incorrectly Displays Hardware that Supports Multiple Input Devices

Q280800 Mouse Pointer May Move Randomly with Fastest Pointer Speed

Q282132 No Prompt Opening Web Folder with Internet Explorer Security Set for Logon Prompt

Q287564 KB Article is not Available (Movie Maker update)

Q290700 Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not restore your computer

Q290831 SRB_FUNCTION_SHUTDOWN Requests Not Sent to SCSI Miniports During Shutdown

Q293793 Exception 0E in Vredir error messages when you open network files

Q296773 Computer May Not Hibernate with More Than 192 MB of Memory

Q297125 PnP Serial Device May Not Enumerate on a Computer That Is Running Windows Me

Q298058 The Audio Mixer Volume Changes When You Restart Your Computer

Q299014 Help and Support Update Hangs During Reboot

Q305826 ACPI Sleep Button Does Not Wake Computer

Q310695 DVD Player Program Cannot Access Data

Q311311 Invalid Universal Plug and Play Request Can Disrupt Computer Operation

Q311561 MS-DOS Does Not Properly Process Hard Disk Hardware Errors

Q314757 Unchecked Buffer in Universal Plug and Play can Lead to System Compromise for Windows Me

Q316795 Volume Settings May Not Persist After Restart

Q323172 Flaw in Certificate Enrollment Control May Cause Digital Certificates to Be Deleted

Q328145 KB Article is not Available (File is IE SSL.exe superceded by Q329115 below)

Q329048 Unchecked Buffer in File Decompression Functions May Allow Attacker to Run Code

Q329115 Certificate validation flaw might permit identity spoofing

Q811630 HTML Help Update to Limit Functionality When It Is Invoked with the window.showHelp( ) Method

Q823559 Buffer overrun in the HTML converter could allow code execution

Q825119 Buffer overrun in Windows Help and Support Center could lead to system compromise

Q888113 Vulnerability in hyperlink object library could allow remote code execution

Q896358 A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution

After installing all that, a major problem arose with crashes of applications and repeated freezes of Explorer forcing to reboot. Another symptom was that after deleting, copying or moving an object in the file system, the undo command would not appear immediately afterwards when right clicking on a folder background or the desktop but would take several seconds to show up.

The culprit turned out to be Q273017 (ScanDisk Runs Even Though Windows Shut Down Correctly). It installs an updated version of Ifsmgr.vxd and modifies the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CacheWriteDelay value in the registry. I found it necessary to set the CacheWriteDelay to O to correct the wrong behaviours and have a stable system again (albeit it would seem the system now slightly hangs when saving something to disk)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"CacheWriteDelay"=dword:00000000

This is the file NODELAY.REG that gets copied by the installer to C:\WINDOWS\INF\QFE\273017 along with 3 others to set the CacheWriteDelay to 2, 4 or 8.

This fix is identical to the one on Win98SE but I have seen that Gape's pack does not include the registry files that comes with the updated Ifsmgr.vxd, so that may be the reason why some have stability problems with his pack on 98SE if the CacheWriteDelay is not set properly.

I have got no real clue but maybe this CacheWriteDelay value is hardware speed dependant to some degree and must be tweaked according to one's system. My system is quite fast, Athlon XP 2600, recent and fast HDDs.

Otherwise everything seems OK, albeit I am unable to assess some of those updates as they apply to components that are long removed from my system such as PC Health and System Restore.

Edited by eidenk

Hi MDGx,

If you jump to all the above links and tell me which one you haven't got (if any) and tell me, it'll be easier and quicker I think, than me trying to match both lists.

What's listed above is all I have and many (if not all) from your page. But as I have used other start points to gather files there might one or two you haven't got.

So please tell me if you miss any of the above.

Hi MDGx,

If you jump to all the above links and tell me which one you haven't got (if any) and tell me, it'll be easier and quicker I think, than me trying to match both lists.

What's listed above is all I have and many (if not all) from your page. But as I have used other start points to gather files there might one or two you haven't got.

So please tell me if you miss any of the above.

Many thanks for the offer.

I checked your list against mine, and it seems I do have all patches.

On a side note, I noticed a few obsolete ones on your list:

Older Q273991 [VSERVER.VXD 4.90.3001] was replaced by newer Q273727 [VSERVER.VXD 4.90.3002].

Older Q282132 was replaced by newer Q892211.

Older Q311311 was replaced by newer Q314757.

Older Q328145 and newer Q329048 both install ZIPFLDR.DLL.

Older Q811630 and Q825119 [MS03-044] were replaced by newer Q896358 [MS05-026].

If you're missing any of these patches, please see:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME

and:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

On a side note, I noticed a few obsolete ones on your list:

Older Q273991 [VSERVER.VXD 4.90.3001]was replaced by newer Q273727 [VSERVER.VXD 4.90.3002].

Older Q282132 was replaced by newer Q892211.

Older Q311311 was replaced by newer Q314757.

Older Q328145 and newer Q329048 both install ZIPFLDR.DLL.

Older Q811630 and Q825119 [MS03-044] were replaced by newer Q896358 [MS05-026].

Thanks MDGx for your observations.

Finally just only Q892211 was missing. That's the Web Folders Update. I have it as well just only I did put it in the wrong folder so I didn't install it.

I have found I have something called winmeddk.exe on my disk. It's 1.4 Mb and the note says :

This package contains the necessary files to enable kernel mode debugging under the Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Windows Me) operating system. Included in this package is a debug version of io.sys, the Windows Me kernel debugger (debugger.exe) and a collection of symbol files.

For assistance with using SoftICE, please contact Compuware NuMega. For assistance with the Windows Me kernel mode debugger or with any other components of this package, please submit a request for online help at DDK Developer Support.

I don 't know if you have that (it's not on your page) or are interested by it, MDGx. I don't know where I got it from, maybe on MS FTP site.

I have found I have something called winmeddk.exe on my disk. It's 1.4 Mb and the note says :
This package contains the necessary files to enable kernel mode debugging under the Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Windows Me) operating system. Included in this package is a debug version of io.sys, the Windows Me kernel debugger (debugger.exe) and a collection of symbol files.

For assistance with using SoftICE, please contact Compuware NuMega. For assistance with the Windows Me kernel mode debugger or with any other components of this package, please submit a request for online help at DDK Developer Support.

I don 't know if you have that (it's not on your page) or are interested by it, MDGx. I don't know where I got it from, maybe on MS FTP site.

I've heard of it, and I may still have the URL(s) safely stored somewhere. :wacko:

See this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/deb...installx86.mspx

and this 1:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/deb...winmedebug.mspx

DDK = Driver Developer Kit

As far as I know these are strictly developer packs, of no interest to "normal" users, unless you're into making/debugging your own ME drivers.

It may be of some interest [?] to Maximus-Decim, who created + maintains the 98SE Native USB Drivers pack, based mostly on the WinME driver model [*.SYS].

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to MDGx for his page and support here and to NirSoft for WinUpdatesList.

You can begin to put your Windows ME Service Pack together now, mitchellovision. There is all the links you need I think to start with. May I suggest you try to include OPPCOM for Windows ME. I think it's a must.

I'll be testing removing some of those updates as my problems are not entirely solved. I still have the undo function that lags sometimes and it's quite annoying as it is several seconds.

Many thanks to MDGx for his page and support here and to NirSoft for WinUpdatesList.

You can begin to put your Windows ME Service Pack together now, mitchellovision. There is all the links you need I think to start with. May I suggest you try to include OPPCOM for Windows ME. I think it's a must.

I'll be testing removing some of those updates as my problems are not entirely solved. I still have the undo function that lags sometimes and it's quite annoying as it is several seconds.

Thank-you. :thumbup I just will. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all would be ME service packs creators and others,

I've just finally installed (almost all) MS hotfixes for Windows Millenium edition I could find. I had just installed one so far and now there are 46 of them.

Oh eidenk I have some WinME hotfixes than those you've mentioned.

These are the ones I have:

Q252183, Q272719, Q296883, Q274594, Q296883, Q308236 & Q316638

let me know if you need them as I will ask Microsoft support for more WinME hotfixes.

Edited by erpdude8

let me know if you need them as I will ask Microsoft support for more WinME hotfixes.

I think everyone that's got ME is potentially interested if you can get anything that's not out. Probably MDGx is much more interested than me.

So yes, if you can get anything, please do.

I have some WinME hotfixes...

May I also have a copy of these hotfixes, please?

Many thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...