order of Windos hotfix's in batch file

Probably a dumb question, but I've wondered for some time now....

I have a batch file on a CD to install all of my windows hotfix's

When I add the latest Microsoft August hotfix's to my batch file, does it matter if I place them first on my list or last on my list or does it not matter at all, as long as they are there?

I tend to go by Knowledge Base numbers or sometimes from the bottom up of whatever shows up on Windows Update.

From what I can tell, Windows Update updates your system with those patches in a random order. So it shouldn't matter what order you do them in.

You can install them in any order, but the last line in batch should be qchain.exe. This makes sure all hotfixes get installed in right order.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...122120121120120

Actually... as that KB mentions... and I quote from the article:

"QChain.exe functionality is included in all Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 product updates that use Update.exe and that were released since May 18, 2001."

Qchain shouldn't be needed w/Server 2003 or XP SP2 patches.

Gfincher

Edited by gfincher

QChain.exe functionality is included in all Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 product updates that use Update.exe and that were released since May 18, 2001."

Qchain shouldn't be needed w/Server 2003 or XP SP2 patches.

that answer gets my vote ...

Shark

Old habits die hard. Answer to original question is the same though... does not matter what order you install hotfixes, qchain, either built in or external takes care of making sure correct files are replaced.

Thanks for the help. It's just been one of those questions that's been on my mind for a while that's not of much importance, but finally decided to ask. Glad to know all of the current updates for XP are beyond the May 01 date.

thanks again.