can't install service pack 2

cassy309

hello everyone haven't postedin a long while just reading the topics but i knew where to come to ask this question i have been running windows xp pro and home on two seperate hard drives i have a dual boot system and i know that i have to update everything ie; my video card i tried to upgrade my video card which is a nvidia geforce 2 mx/mx 400 but when i did that all i got was a black screen i had to install xp on top of its self to get my screen back i couldn't even go into safe mode.

anyways back to service pack2 i downloaded and installed it and when it was time for my pc to restart i would get the windows logo screen and then a 1 sec blue screen then a back screen again in other words my pc kept re-starting i know it could be a number of things but i need some help i don't know what else to do because i have to much information to just try i clean install and i did do that one my smaller drive and still no luck is there a way for me to pinpoint the promblem with the install?

Edited by cassy309

it seems that u have some problems with drivers. u can try to uinstall in safe mode and then see if if your pc starts.

but i say that u should make a fresh install slipstreaming sp2 and all postsp2 updates via nlite.

thanks but i have no problem un-installing it i am able to go into safe mode and un-install i just want to install it but i will try what you suggested thankyou and for some reason i cannot update my bios either. i may need some mmore help with the nlite

Edited by cassy309

• 2 weeks later...

i've been looking around and i found out what my problem is it's the type of processor i have i justs happne to have an intel pentium 4 and my bios does not provide the required production support i found this out by downloading everest home edition and it told me my cpuid which starts with an F :realmad: this means that i cannot upgrade to service pack2 and i also went to microsoft and they say not to operate the computer without an updated UPdate.sys file installed. question is can i go on without service pack2 or should i just get another motherboard and cpu? or is there away around this without losing my data?

update: for some strange reason after i buy a new tower and after i download the latest video card driver the darn pc now took sp2 :angry: but at least now i will have a faster processor thing is that they don't take the same kind of memory :} thanks for helping everyone

Edited by cassy309