Add/remove Software Error

Drewdatrip

It's great to finally find out why i was getting that bloody error. I've had it for months and sought help many times but no one seemed to know, even had to install an add & remove prog so i could uninstall stuff. Thx for enlightening me.

• 1 year later...

Although this topic is a year old, I have some new info regarding this error.

It seems this is caused when certain regtweaks are applied relating to the theme/visual style. I haven't pinpointed the exact tweak yet.

On my system, changing the theme did not fix the problem. The only themes available were Classic and Luna. I also manually removed all the registry entries that I had initally modified with my regtweaks.reg. It still did not fix the 'parser message'

I found this solution on MS website. There is a file, "shellstyle.dll" located in C:\Windows\System32. The parser message is a result of a corrupt or missing shellstyle.dll file. I checked the location on my PC and sure enough, the file was missing. I replaced it from another machine, and instantly, the problem was fixed, no reboot necessary. For some reason, during my unattended upgrade (i'm pretty sure it's the regtweaks causing it) that file disappears. My next test will be to insert that file in the $OEM$ area on my unattended CD and hopefully the problem will be solved permanently.

Just thought I should add that here, since none of the previously mentioned fixes seemed to work on my system.

First post here BTW, I like it here, very helpful. Thanks.