Intel RAID - MassStorageDrivers via "Method 2"

tjtenor4

Hey all, I'm pretty new here, but I've been spending quite some time working on an unattended install CD. Your instructions here are great. I've made successful slipstreamed SP2 & updates cds with no problem.

The issues I'm having relate to installing the drivers for my Intel SATA RAID ICH5R controller. Now, I have successfully used the "raskren" method described in detail by raskren and bashrat. It works fine.

However, no insult intended to anyone here, but I view this method as kind of "cheating," since you're hacking the txtsetup.sif file. So I started working on trainee's "method 2".

I have had absolutely zero success with this method. I know you all like to see the code from my txtsetup.oem and winnt.sif files, but I have used so many variations I don't think it's worth it, 'cause I'd list one and you'd suggest something, and it would be something I've already tried but didn't post... you get the point.

Just so you know, the error I'm getting consistently is txtsetup.oem causing error (18) in oemdisk.c at line 1747. This file is a background file created during the unprotected ("real") textmode portion of Windows setup.

My question is, has anyone successfully used "method 2" to install an Intel RAID driver from CD w/no F6 disk?

ALSO, I would like to point to some interesting links to which I do not believe anyone has referred yet:

Microsoft's commentary on MassStorageDrivers from CD

You cannot automate the installation of mass storage drivers when you start the computer from the Windows CD and then run the Setup program to install Windows from the Windows CD.
...Editing the Txtsetup.sif file to add mass storage drivers is not supported.

Same problem, seemingly solved

This person had my exact same problem, but his solution did not work for me. Perhaps because he was doing a network install (which MS says is OK)?

Anyway, any commentary would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...