strange Ping problem

grafx1

the ping command was ok until i tried to ping another PC on our network or ping the default gateway, the pc produce short Beeps and strange codes appear in the DOS window instead of sending packets lines !!

what is that ?

also, i would like to know can the ping command used to test network cable if it is good or bad ?

Thank you.

Not sure why all those wierd things are happening. Sounds like something is messed up with the NIC or drivers maybe? Anyways as far as the "Ping to test a cable" thing, its not a good way to tell. Sometimes a cable can be just good enough to get pings accross but it won't be able to handle normal data. Your best bet would be to use a cable tester.

Edited by darkfiber1010

Thanks for the information, but is there a software to check network cables rather than hardware tester ?

or can the DSL speed tests on the web be also a check for the network cables ?

Edited by grafx1

Best way to test cables is a hardware cable tester. NIC's are meant for network communication and not troubleshooting. I know of no nic that has these capibilities. A DSL speed test also will tell you nothing about your cable.

as far as the funny stuff with ping.. I would check your drivers and run system file checker to make sure nothing is corrupt.