Sysprep problems in XP

We recently updated our XP SP2 master computer lab image with the latest goodies and now, no matter what I do, I can't get sysprep to run properly. I get the error: "SamChangePasswordUser returned status c000006a".

The administrator password is null and the AdminPassword parameter isn't even in the sysprep.inf file. I've tried running sysprep manually without a sysprep.inf file or any command arguments, yet the exact same error every time. Using AdminPassword with a hash doesn't work either.

Ideas?

-nut

Welcome to MSFN

Make sure your using the latest sysprep i.e. download the support/deployment tools for XP SP2, as you might have problems by not using it.

Its late here so my brain cant think of anything else right now ;)

Regards

N.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the delay ;)

The administrator password is null and the AdminPassword parameter isn't even in the sysprep.inf file. I've tried running sysprep manually without a sysprep.inf file or any command arguments, yet the exact same error every time.  Using AdminPassword with a hash doesn't work either.

If its happening without a sysprep.inf answer file too then it must be something to do with your build of xp...

Did u use a custom/UA XP Pro CD? (did u use nlite also?)

AdminPassword should be a * not a hash (#) btw ;)

@noseph:

I would ask the same question to you also :) Also, are you trying the exact same thing as un1xnut? Please describe what you are trying to achieve also :)

Regards

N.

I am trying to deploy a XPsp2 image. The sysprep factory mode runs with out incident, however after resealing, the sysprep boot to mini-setup fails. The last entries in setuplog shows that 'Setup was unable to change the password for user account Administrator because of the following error: SamChangePasswordUser returned status c000006a.' This entry is just after 'BEGIN_SECTION,Computer Name Page', there is no 'END_SECTION,Computer Name Page'.

The Administrator Password is blank in the XPsp2 image. I am using the latest sysprep.exe (5.2.3790.1830) from the Server 2003 SP1 Deploy CAB.

I have also tried to leave the Administrator password blank (*) in the sysprep.inf. With this I get a different Critical Error - 'Setup encountered the following unhandled exception: Exception c0000005 at address 5F1A340B with the following parameters: 00000000 00000014'.

Upon futher examination I find that I only get the SamChangePasswordUser error if I let the system reboot a second time or more, at which point it is not running Mini-Setup, as it failed the first time thru with the unhandled exception.

Edited by noseph

I found kb836426 that resolves a similar problem with W2K3. I tried the fix and it works for WXPsp2. I had Telephony service disable in my sysprep image. Once I set it to automatic, started it and ran sysprep -factory. Everything is fine.

Glad you solved it (tho I cant say I completely understand all that).

I've had problems myself with trying factory mode. These days i dont bother hehe I just make the image how I need it, then reseal it and it goes into mini-setup with no probs.

sysprep.inf is handy (never used to use it) but when I tried last year/xmas, I was plesantly surprised :) The only annoying thing I've come across is that the "encrypted admin password" (like in winnt.sif) doesnt work :( everything else is fine :)

Btw - cant find the KB number you put down. Do you have a link for it?

Thanks for letting us know how you got on :D

@un1xnut:

Any luck? Any more to add?

Regards

Nath

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I took a very long weekend. Just paste 'kb836426' into Google and take the first support.microsoft site returned. It should be something like 'http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836426'