Monitor broken

bjorland

My 17 inch monitor has been going strong for about 8 years. My monitor switches off after 20 minutes (Windows power settings in control panel). 4 weeks ago when I got to my pc and moved the mouse to get the pc to wake up, the monitor stayed off. It gets power, as the power light is burning, but nothing shows on screen.

I unplugged it and left it for a few hours and even days, but still no luck. So I got my brother's monitor and it works fine. So conclusion if my 17 inch is broken. So 2 weeks ago I go and buy a Gigabyte 19 inch. For 12 days it worked perfect. On Monday afternoon I get to my pc, move the mouse to have the screen come on and something similar happened. The screen came on, but showed black & white lines (similar to when you choose a resolution that the monitor doesn't support) all over and you can't see a thing on the screen.

I used different power cables, plugged the power into the wall and not through the pc that is connect the a UPS. Still nothing. Got a laptop to test the monitor, same thing show on the screen, black and white lines. The day (about 24 hours later), I switched my pc on just to make sure the monitor is broken before I pack it in its box to take back to the shop where I bought it, there the monitor works again.

No how is this possible and what could be the reason for the 1 monitor to pack up from sleep mode and the other to show the lines but work again the next day?

I found the problem. Friday night I adjusted the OSD settings on my 19 inch Gigabyte monitor, rebooted for something and the screen went all funny again. I managed to get my monitor to factory settings again, and it worked. So my conclusion is that the OSD settings are very sensitive and it looks like the monitor's width and height doesn't like to be set to far.

Just happy that I found the cause of the problem.

You probably exceeded the specifications set by the factory.

The width and height "don't like to be set too far" :D Of course not, your monitor has a maximum, don't go beyond it! But another setting that could be set too high is the refresh rate.

If your screen doesn't respond as you descriped, try boot into safemode or vga mode.