Network Connection - Connected Status

Zxian

I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem or if anyone has any possible fixes for it.

Whenever I try to connect to a network after my computer has been on for a while (i.e. not connected at boot/wake up from hibernation), the network status never changes from "Aquiring network address". I have an IP address as well as full network access, but the status doesn't change, and the icon in my system tray keeps having that little ball move back and forth (really annoying).

I can get around it by opening up the connection and then going to Properties and simply clicking Ok. The network adapter then gets the status of "Connected", but I don't think that I should have to do this...

Does anyone else have this symptom, or is my computer just wierd? This is a fairly fresh install of XP-SP2 and I'm (as always) pretty sure that I don't have any wierd crap on my computer.

Thanks in advance.

That service is started by default (set to Automatic). I let my router do the static DHCP assignments, since I use my laptop in other wireless networks as well and therefore can't use manually set IP addresses.

I've had that problem too; except it happens sometimes when I boot up my computer.

I just right click on the icon and select "Repair." Like you said, we shouldn't HAVE to do that.

Even when the little ball is moving back and forth underneath the little computer icon and it says "Acquiring network address," I can still surf the web and do all the normal stuff.

Very strange!

The problem with the repair is that it never seems to work for my wireless connection. I've got a 802.11g network setup with WPA and it won't even renew my IP address... :(

I'm using the latest drivers from Intel for my wireless card, and as I said, I can't assign a static IP within Windows, since I use my wireless connection in other places as well.

Not to mention the fact that this isn't just with my wireless card! It happens with my ethernet card on both my laptop and desktop (running Win2K3-SP1).

• 2 weeks later...
Hehehe 

Windows.... 

Even do not try to understand.. Just confess!

good suggestion.. ill bet this helped solve the problem..
using ipconfig command to clear and renew IP.

type ipconfig /? to learn more :)

The problem is he shouldnt have to do this..

A few things you might want to try is to under your TCP/IP Properties under advanced button -> Wins tab.. the default is normally "Use settings from DHCP Server" try assigning that automatically to Enable NetBios over TCP/IP

also you might want to try to uncheck the "register this connection in DNS" on the DNS tab.

lemme know how those work for ya...

Edited by chilifrei64

using ipconfig command to clear and renew IP.

type ipconfig /? to learn more :)

I've tried this... and the problem is that I do have an IP address, but the status and corresponding icon don't change.
A few things you might want to try is to under your TCP/IP Properties under advanced button -> Wins tab.. the default is normally "Use settings from DHCP Server" try assigning that automatically to Enable NetBios over TCP/IP

also you might want to try to uncheck the "register this connection in DNS" on the DNS tab.

lemme know how those work for ya...

I've tried these... unfortunately no luck... :(

EDIT Actually, I've tried just about every combination of settings in the advanced options... phooey...

Use a win sock fix utility. That fixed it for me.

I'll give this a shot. *crosses fingers*

EDIT The WinSock fix utility (from Snapfiles) didn't work. :(

Just so people have some sort of idea as to what's going on, here is a screenshot of the Wi-fi adaptor status during all this. You can see in my system tray that the icon is in the "Aquiring Network Address" mode...

Huh.. wait a sec... ok... now this is wierd. After about 2 minutes of sitting like that, it finally decides that it's connected... :S On my parent's computer with an ethernet connection, it usually does the switch in about 3 seconds. This is so wierd...

Edited by Zxian