I have to reseat the CPU so many freaking times!

roger04

Hello,

When my screen turns black or freezes during normal usage, the cpu wont load again when I reboot the pc. I have to reseat it(lift the plastic lever and clip on again).

I don't know if it's the cpu or the socket or the whole mobo is causing the prob. Problem happened after I put the new layer of thermal paste for the 1st time. Probably I put too much presure on the pins towards the table while putting the paste on. I used a soft guitar pick to spread the thermal paste. Now don't know what to do...

Please help me. Probably it's gonna freeze again soon.

*Luciky I have enough time to post this b4 freezing.. :)

Edited by roger04

When the system freezes, have you tried just letting it sit for about 20-30 minutes, then try it again? I'm wondering if just maybe you applied too much thermal paste to the cpu, and the paste is now actually causing cpu overtemp. Re-seating the CPU could allow enough time and room temperature air into the case to cool it enough to allow normal operations, only to freeze up again once operations are resumed.

Of course, it could be something entirely different. The CPU could be damaged, or even more likely, the motherboard could be the cause. Are your fans still spinning?

In any event, run the test as I described above. If just letting the system sit for awhile corrects the problem, then it's likely a cooling issue. Thermal paste does its job well, provided you apply the correct amount. It should be a thin and uniform film. If you apply it until it looks like you applied a full coat of white paint, you've probably applied too much.

- Ravashaak

rava. I think I kindda did that 'sit' process b4. As in the cpu froze when it wasn't used. I guess it was left like that for long time till the next time I on it and saw it black. reset and nothing again.

I put Arctic Silver 5. Amount like a grain of rice. Spread evenly. CPU isn't hot when I remove the heat sink.

Need your help once again. TQ

I'd try re-applying the AS5, but this time, not spreading it and letting the pressure from the heatsink do that for you. This is the way that I've always done it and it usually comes out much cleaner in the end.

Have you checked that you're getting enough power from your PSU? That can have some strange effects on a system.

xian, AS5 isn't that liquid to spread by itself by preasure..

I don't know how to check if it's getting enough voltage from the psu. any tips?

All I know is that all was working OK with the current default voltage before this happened.

Actually, AS5 is soft enough to get spread out from the pressure alone. If you re-read the instructions on the AS5 website, you'll see that this is actually the recommended method of applying AS5.

As for voltages, you should be able to read these in BIOS first of all. Dig around in the menus and you should find some info.

What CPU/mobo do you have?

Too thick of a layer will actually hinder heat transfer. With too much thermal paste applied, the heat can't transfer to the heat sink properly, causing higher temperatures. I remember one guy who emptied almost the entire tube of AS5 on his CPU... and then wondered why it was running at 65C idle... :huh:

I'd try re-applying the AS5, but this time, not spreading it and letting the pressure from the heatsink do that for you. This is the way that I've always done it and it usually comes out much cleaner in the end.

Thats exactly how I do it. Never had a problem.

If you are using the P4, the heat shouldn't be a problem. It can still run even without the heatsink. It might not be as fast as you want, but it won't quit. Most likely your problem lies else where.