Blank Add/Remove programs

Arvetus

Anybody ever have a problem when you go to "Add or Remove Programs" and it's completely blank...no programs listed? There no disk activity or excess CPU activity, so I know that it's not like it's still trying to read the registry. Any ideas?

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1 (I know, I know...haven't updated it yet...but it's not my computer ;) )

I had a problem with the c:\windows\system32\config\system file being corrupt, so I went to the recovery console and copied one from c:\windows\repair\system.bak That got me back into Windows, I re-created the user profile and restored all his settings, but now the Add/Remove programs entry is blank. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I've searched high and low and what I've found only applies to Win9x.

I'm not sure Arvetus, I've never came across that. The only thing I could suggest is to revert to a previous backup if you have one and possibly try a third-party add/remove program to use inplace of the windows util. If thats the only thing that's being affected, if it were me, I wouldn't reload windows.. just go for the 3rd-party app, although I'm not sure about add/remove windows components...

I'll try the registry trick and see if that works.

There are a few other programs (any MS Office programs for example) that won't load, so I may end up doing a re-format just to save time if I can't get anywhere with modifying registry permissions.

I'll try the registry trick and see if that works.

There are a few other programs (any MS Office programs for example) that won't load, so I may end up doing a re-format just to save time if I can't get anywhere with modifying registry permissions.

hey man i had had this problem , but look it's not empty ....... move the seek bar to the end of page and u will see all programs ....... Tell me what u had

Windows XP is like a 1/4 ton pickup with a 1/2 ton of gravel on board....

Something is always falling off.

I'm constantly loosing one function or another. :}

When I loose a function, I don't know how many other functions may also be gone, so I do a Windows "Unattended RE-Install". I just did one two days ago when my Search function vanished.

To do this rather simple operation you WILL need your Windows XP CD or at least the I386 folder that has all your XP cab files in it, as well as Winnt32.exe.

You may even find it on your hard drive someplace.

A friend has this technique on his web page:

Re-Installing Windows-XP

If you need to reinstall Windows-XP and want to keep all your current installed applications and settings:

1. Start Windows-XP

2. Find the location of your source files (a folder called "I386" , May Be on Your Install CD or a folder on your HD) You may find several i386 folders on your PC but you want the one that has the .cab files in it along with the command file "Winnt32.exe".

3. Run WINNT32 /unattend ,,, For example, D:\I386\winnt32.exe /unattend (type this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER).... Leave just one space where I've put three for emphasis, at the end of the command and before the switch (/unattend).

I've often needed to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and I didn't want to do a clean install.

This works!, every time.

I've done it many times already.

Cheers!

Andromeda43