Getting rid of INTEGRATED hotfixes

Apparently when choosing to integrate hotfixes, they are not truly integrated in the sense that your system files on the installation CD get replaced by newer versions.

Instead, the hotfixes get placed in the "svcpack" folder, along with some ".cat" files, an "HFINT.dat" file and a "branches.inf" file.

My question is, if these hotfixes are superceded by newer ones, for the sake of speeding up the install, how do I correctly remove the hotfixes?

In fact, would it be safe to just remove ALL contents of the svcpack folder, so as to install the hotfixes from RunOnceEx instead, or are the contents of svcpack folder called upon from some other installation file?

Thanks for any help!

I think that windows searches for integrated updates in the svcpack.inf file. That is where the updates and the catolog files are entered when you use the /integrate method. I think you can just remove an update from that file, as well as from the svcpack folder and then windows will ignore it. Try that out :yes:

Edit: There is a good guide that explains the svcpack.inf method of installing updates here:

http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/hotfix/svcpack.htm

Edited by cheezus420

Thanks, cheezus420...!

Well, I have used the "svcpack.inf method" in the past, but there are some differences between that method and the "MS integrated hotfixes" method:

a. The svcpack.inf file has no entries under the [ProductCatalogsToInstall] heading

in the scvpack.inf method

b. The files "HFINT.dat" "branches.inf" are only present in the MS integrated hotfixes method (in the svcpack folder)

c. The CAT files are not created for the svcpack.inf method in the svcpack folder

Anyway, I will try simply removing the old hotfixes and their .cat files, as well as their references from the svcpack.inf file in the I386 folder. That ought to be all that's needed.

I had it working with both /integrate and svcpack.inf at the same time. I just did the /integrate updates, and then later added some new ones to the svcpack folder, and svcpack.inf (they still work without the catalog part and all that other good stuff) You just have to make sure that dosnet.inf has the section

[OptionalSrcDirs]

SVCPACK

added to it. It worked fine for me!!! Let me know if it works for you :thumbup

Edited by cheezus420