Take a look at WinPE "2006"

scp

How to take a look in WinPE of Windows Vista Beta1 (Longhorn Build 5112)

1. Run a Setup from another Windows (e.g. 2000/XP/2003), don't reboot

2. Get a copy of "$WINDOWS.~BT" and rename it to something like "PECD"

3. Copy the folder "boot" from CD/DVD to "PECD" folder

(you can delete the "boot.sdi" file)

4. Copy the files "boot.ini" and "bootmgr" from CD/DVD to "PECD" folder

5. Rename "setup.exe" in Sources folder to "setuq.exe"

(If you also have "setup.exe" in root folder then rename it too)

6. Modify the boot.ini like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn PE" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL /MININT /USENEWLOADER

7. Get the boot sector of the CD/DVD

8. Burn this compilation as a bootable CD or create a ISO with your favourite application.

mkisofs (from BartPE supporting -iso-level 4) / makeiso example:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -volid "LB1PFRE_EN" -b "Microsoft Corporation.img" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide "Microsoft Corporation.img" -hide boot.catalog

-v -o e:\LH5112\LB1PFRE_EN.ISO e:\LH5112\PECD

NOTES

=====

Id don't know much about WinPE 2005 but WinPE Vista has some cool new features. As you can see it has a boot manager like the hd boot, you can use cdrom(0) or ramdisk(0) as boot targets.

It also has the capability to "write" on the CD/DVD. If found this files are for "write access" on CD/DVD:

fbwflib.dll

sacsess.exe

sacsvr.dll

drivers\fbwf.sys

drivers\sacdrv.sys

drivers\wimfsf.sys (only for .wim image files)

I also got WMI an the explorer work, but I hang on ieframe.dll which is the new interface for the folder an IE windows. it only gives a white box. But on the desktop an on Open/Save dialogs the new Icon-Engine (IconCodecService.dll, imageres.dll, thumbcache.dll, WindowsCodecs.dll etc.) works in PE.

The only important thing which doesn't seem to work is to install ms_server with netcfg. It gives an "Transaction Manager..." error, but I don't think it refers to MSDTC

Edited by scp

sacsess.exe

sacsvr.dll

drivers\sacdrv.sys

This feature already exists in WinPE 2005:

EMS, Emergency Management Services

SAC, Special Administration Console

Details are explained in WINPE.CHM Help file on the OPK CD.

Copy files Sacsess.ex_, Sacsvr.dl_ and Termcap_ from 2003 SP1 source CD, unpack in folder system32.

Copy file Sacdrv.sy_ from 2003 SP1 source CD, unpack in folder system32\drivers. ie:

expand d:\i386\sacdrv.sy_ -r e:\winpe\i386\system32\drivers

Winpesft.inf

[AddReg]
;
;   HEADLESS
;
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost",headless,0x00010000,"sacsvr"

Winpesys.inf

[AddReg]
;
;   HEADLESS
;
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr","ErrorControl",0x00010003,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr","ImagePath",0x00020000,"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\svchost.exe -k headless"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr","ObjectName",0x00000000,"LocalSystem"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr","Start",0x00010003,2
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr","Type",0x00010003,32
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sacsvr\Parameters","ServiceDll",0x00020002,"%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\sacsvr.dll"

Startnet.cmd:

net start sacsvr

Build image.

drivers\fbwf.sys looks like same feature as Enhanced Write Filter in XP Embedded.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

I've tried to integrate ewf into normal winpe but never worked since it needs an eltorito image but winpe needs a normal iso :), this could be a very intresting feature, btw m$ invested much in winpe, they based their new installation on it, also as I read they fixed dns support

• 4 weeks later...
n where i could download to try this latest win pe 2006?

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to be an OEM or similiar, then you can purchase Windows PE from Microsoft with such and such a license? As in, home users need not apply?

I mean, I have PE myself and I'm a home user so it WORKS but I acquired my copy legitimately. I believe downloading a CD or DVDISO of PE would probably qualify as piracy, i.e. warez.

I would just like to state that this does not work in build 5219. I've had errors from NTLDR missing to Cannot Find BOOTMGR to an invalid Windows path with boot.ini. I've gotten it to go to the bootloader but that's it. It just loads and loads. So far switching it back to ramdisk or changing even a single character in your boot.ini makes it problematic. I'm thinking I should just get build 5112 and shut up. :(

You got explorer to load successfully?!

I couldn't get the start menu to load at all in 4051PE or 4074PE. It took me a while to get it working with XP Pro's PE. Has anyone been able to extract WinPE from build 5219 yet?! :unsure:

Edited by Daemonforce

...Has anyone been able to extract WinPE from build 5219 yet?! :unsure:

Working on it... Can't rely on 5112's ximage to extract wim files, but I noticed that during 5219 install, there is the useful "view release notes" which open a text file in notepad.

Guess what, you just have to go in "file->open" to get an explorer window, which reveals the WinPE directories and files. Feels a bit like an XBox exploit lol...

It hides system files and folders by default, so you have to type by hand some paths to see thier content (I'm thinking of the "drivers" directory of Windows\system32) I'm playing copy-paste right now, hoping to be able to rebuild WinPE of Vista 5219... Unless someone can lead me to the 5219 build of ximage, of course :-D

Paz.

Working on it...  Can't rely on 5112's ximage to extract wim files, but I noticed that during 5219 install, there is the useful "view release notes" which open a text file in notepad.

Might as well read SOMETHING when it's installing for half an hour and bloating it for three. =/

Guess what, you just have to go in "file->open" to get an explorer window, which reveals the WinPE directories and files. Feels a bit like an XBox exploit lol...

Keke! ^-^

It hides system files and folders by default, so you have to type by hand some paths to see thier content (I'm thinking of the "drivers" directory of Windows\system32) I'm playing copy-paste right now, hoping to be able to rebuild WinPE of Vista 5219... Unless someone can lead me to the 5219 build of ximage, of course :-D

This is a problem. I want to edit the Install.WIM to get rid of the crap I don't need, and rip the boot.WIM to extract the rest of the new WinPE. I have WAIK, I have the OPK, but I don't see where an ximage that can open 5219's WIM files is going to come from.

I have Longhorn builds:

I have Ximage builds 4008 and 5112.

I haven't been able to extract any of these images using Ximage or any 3rd party program. :}

Edited by Daemonforce

5219 was built with the 5219 build of Ximage that has not been released, you won't be able to mount the .WIM files from the vista 5219 DVD. Plus you can't delete things out of the WIM, you can copy them out and then put them into another folder then make a .wim of that but you only get read and write access to the files in the mounted folder

5219 was built with the 5219 build of Ximage that has not been released, you won't be able to mount the .WIM files from the vista 5219 DVD. Plus you can't delete things out of the WIM, you can copy them out and then put them into another folder then make a .wim of that but you only get read and write access to the files in the mounted folder

You mean I get no access to the WIM file. The ximage tool is too old and I can't even mount the images. :unsure:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...