Automatic Bart PE Ghost Client

kilimats

Im using the Bart PE CD with ghost 8 edition, and i'm able to multicast ghost image with it

so i just start all the client with bart PE CD and lauch ghost 8 to work as a client, and the server as a GHOSTCAST Server

my problem is that i need to go on each client to configure the DHCP client, to start ghost 8 and configure the option on it

I was looking for a way to do that automatically, just put the Bart PE CD on the client, and THATS IT, it will do everything by itself, configure the DHCP, lauch Ghost and connect itself to the ghostcast server

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO THAT ?

Thanks

I suppose that you got it figured out? Want to share?

I was going to suggest looking at the command line for Ghost32.exe:

ghost32 -clone,mode=restore,src=@MCghostme,dst=1 -sure -rb

"@MCghostme" specifies the name of the multicast session to join.

gfincher

no, its a misunderstood

i didnt make it work

i will try your way gfincher for ghost, but i need a way to

1-automatically boot the CD after the post ( no ask to press a key)

2-say yes to the network support

3-use the dhcp

4-confirm the network configuration for the dhcp

5-start ghost like gfincher say and be ready to receive the multicast transfert

i need this because i have like 300 desktop to multicast and no KVM, so want it automatically so i dont need to connect a screen and keyboard on all computer

THX so much for your help, hope i will find an answer with you

I got my clients to to boot via PXE and download a BartPE .ISO image via the LAN into local RAM-disk and start BartPE without any user intervention at all!

It is possible to use the PXE / TFTP service that comes with Windows 2003, or to use the PXE / TFTP service that comes with MS XP Embedded (downloadable from MS), which is even better. The MS XP Embedded version makes it possible to configure the boot option per MAC-address, i.e. boot to local harddisk or boot to BartPE.

I have RAdmin starting automagically together with the network card when the BartPE image boots, IP adresses are obtained via DHCP (which I have configured to distribute IP adresses on a per MAC-address basis). This way I always have the same address for a computer regardless of whether it is booted into BartPE via LAN or to Windows XP / 2003 locally.

RAdmin enables me to take control over the computer, I can run McAfee antivirus, do Ghost backup / restore to / from remote server or repartition the harddisk, or whatever I need to do without having to get close to the computer!

When using the XP Embedded PXE service it it possible to determine that a particular computer should boot into BartPE upon next re-boot, which is very convenient when there are many computers on the LAN and you do not want all of them to boot into BartPE upon next re-boot. Also, the Windows 2003 version of the PXE / TFTP service is a bit cumbersome to handle since it needs to be restarted whenever you decide to change the clients boot preference (LAN or local). But on a small LAN where you have full control over the client computers it can do the job just as well :)

Let me know if there is an interest in me posting the XPE PXE or W2K3 PXE setup instructions, but beware: you need to know what you are dealing with, this is not for the beginners! I will not be able to provide any support or straighten out newbie questions, it is up to the implementor to understand what PXE, DHCP, TFTP, Windows service, directory structure, .ISO file, BartPE, RAMDisk and slipstreaming drivers means! :yes:

your way sound good Krokodox, i will definetly do it like this if i kind find a solution.

your way need a big preparation at first and work great

my way is more for image deployment on new computer for big companie, they have 300 new ibm in box, and they to deploy an image on it, my job is to open the box, install the 24 computer on a table, link them to the 24 port switch, run my ghostcast server, run ghost32 on each client (very slow to do it), and then send..

you see its very slow, if i just put a bart pe unnatended version on each client, it will be SO FAST, i need to find a way to modify bart pe with those setting

3-use the dhcp

if i can't then i will be interrested in your way

thanks you for your post, can you leave me your email?

anybody know how to make those change on bart pe CD?

3-use the dhcp

The booting of BartPE without having to press a key is a setting (a "plugin") that you can select when you create your BartPE. The automatic start of networking support in BartPE is also found there. There is a GUI for network settings, it is scriptable so that you can pre-select DHCP or fixed IP, etc. Autostarting Ghost after the network is no problem either, you need to edit and / or rename the .bat file in the plugin folder for Ghost 8. Download latest version of PEBuilder, read the short and conscise manual, all you want to acheive is doable!

The booting of BartPE without having to press a key is a setting (a "plugin") that you can select when you create your BartPE
i found the option to disable the no key startup (Plugin -> Boot Fix (Enabling ""Press any key to boot from CD"" -> Enable = NO
The automatic start of networking support in BartPE is also found there, There is a GUI for network settings, it is scriptable so that you can pre-select DHCP or fixed IP, etc.

i found in the plugin section :

- BARTPE: Network Support

- PENETCFG: Automatically start PE Network configurator

- PENETCFG: PE Network configurator (theTruth)

my purpose is to tell bart pe to activate the network support, use DHCP and confirm the network configuration windows that pop-up after, what should i change in those plug-in?

Autostarting Ghost after the network is no problem either, you need to edit and / or rename the .bat file in the plugin folder for Ghost 8

i didn't find the bat file, but i find the plug in Startup Group but don't know what to change to make ghost 8 boot

i'm really sorry for all those beginner question, but i'm very bad at programming :(

Edited by kilimats

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost allows you to create a boot disk which will connect to the server. If you have 300 machines - I presume they are identical - why would you want to boot WinPE at all and go trough the hassle of creating fancy scripts? You can simply boot the ghost client cd with dhcp support & specific ndis driver for the network card. You can then restore the images from the server to your heart's content.

• 3 weeks later...
I got my clients to to boot via PXE and download a BartPE .ISO image via the LAN into local RAM-disk and start BartPE without any user intervention at all!

It is possible to use the PXE / TFTP service that comes with Windows 2003, or to use the PXE / TFTP service that comes with MS XP Embedded (downloadable from MS), ..................................

Hi Krokodox,

could you give me the setup instructions for XPE PXE?

I'm well experienced, but I had never time to play with XP Embedded...

thanks a lot,

128-bit