IT Outsourcing to India?

1boredguy

Hello :hello:

Was wondering if anyone had any creditable, trustworthy, well known resources that break down the facts about IT outsourcing to India.

What exactly? That is reasonably related to IT... (I assumed much of it is software development, but read that IBM recently got a deal for semiconductors)

Facts & Figures of jobs outsourced from Europe & USA.

And which job titles, that aren't in India, should be worried.

I pretty much need quick facts from creditable resources.

Thanks for any replies!

Too many stipulations.....that's why you've not had any responses so far. :}

In the simplest form: Outsourcing is the act of going out of your own country to find someone who will perform a task for you at a lower cost than what you can find at home.

Many large World-class corp's that used to have their help/phone lines answered here in the US by companies like "Ruppman Marketing" in Peoria, Ill, are now getting their phones answered in India or some such place because they can get the job done SO MUCH cheaper. The fact that the people answering those phones can't speak English well enough to be understood by the average American, doesn't seem to effect the companies involved. To say that they "don't give a ____" might be going too far. But the bottom line is still the all-mighty buck.

Does that help you any?

:w00t:

thanks for the reply!

i'm aware of the concept of outsourcing. but i've seen media "blowing it up" in the past few years (directly at India). i know that the media always blows everything out of proportion, so i'm just trying to find some reasonable facts to reflect the strength of the relationship with India and IT outsourcing.

Edited by 1boredguy

Well, the FACT is that most companies don't want anyone to know they're doing it.

When Dell, for instance shows you a picture of their 24x7 help room....it's obviously in the US with guys that really do speak English. When in fact their help room is in BomBay or some such and the language spoken there is FAR from anything that most of us (at least in the US) can understand.

You might try a Google search to see what you could uncover.

Then there is hardware outsourcing. You can see that on any computer part you buy when you read the little sticker that says "Made in China". Now, that's outsourcing!

When American companies have all their product made in China, Korea, Taiwan or Japan.

Good luck on your quest. However, you might have more fun taking in a good movie.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

When in fact their help room is in BomBay or some such and the language spoken there is FAR from anything that most of us (at least in the US) can understand.

Andromeda43

If you read and understand what I've typed, then this is one of the language's that we speak, read and write quite fluently. Just so you know there are school's and college's that teach the English language, where most of us have got our education.

Sorry about being off topic, but that remark hurt.

1boredguy - The media is not exactly blowing this issue up, think about the numerous people who've lost their job's in the US and other similar countries, who are outsourcing. The companies go for it since they have to pay lesser, taking that the cost of living out here is much lower than say the US.

If you read and understand what I've typed, then this is one of the language's that we speak, read and write quite fluently. Just so you know there are school's and college's that teach the English language, where most of us have got our education.

Sorry about being off topic, but that remark hurt.

Didn't mean to hurt any feelings. In fact I know that the greatest system programmers in the world come from India and that area of the world. Level of education is NOT the topic.

My Dr. at the Veterans Hosp is from India. He's a very good Doctor. I have to say "HUH?" a lot, because even though he's been here for over 20 years,,,,he's still hard to understand.

But what you don't seem to understand is that many Americans have a very hard time understanding the Indians that work the computer company help lines.

I hear this every day from my elderly customers that have hung up the phone in a rage because they could not understand the person on the other end of the phone line.

I personally have the same problem with understanding anyone with a heavy accent.

That was never a problem when our calls for help were being answered in Peoria, Illinois (USA). So much for 'outsourcing' of the customer help lines.

B)

I used to get McAfee tech support. Yep it was from India. Either my support wasn't spoken well or typed well.

It seems like it hurts both ways. Their is the exploitation for a few rubles, and then the bloodsucking which drains the blood from US workers.

Again, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was hurt anyone's feelings.

That's not what I'm all about. Maybe its just another one of them Language Comprehension gaps.

But, what about the feelings of the thousands of people here in the US that used to answer those telephones, that are now being answered in India, Pakistan, etc.

And what about our children that are maybe just going without......because their mommies job went to India or some other country.

Outsourcing is killing this countries economy. Thousands of our jobs are going over-seas, and there is nothing to replace them. Only so many people can flip burgers.

And I get bashed because I said "I can't understand those people who answer those customer help lines."

Facts are facts and have nothing to do with hurting anyone's feelings.

Sorry bout dat!

:}

Andromeda43 - Gotta agree that there is a tad bit of a slang in the English language of the American's which might be causing some problems in any verbally communication. Did'nt mean to start an "Andromeda bashing" round here. Hoping that we've sorted this out. Peace.

The oursourcing can't be blamed on some particular country, it's the corporate's who decide this, for cost cutting and hence higher profits. So blaming India or China or any other such country would be quite baseless.

Personally I'm totally against this sytem where the local is jobless and someone else somewhere is doing the same job at a lesser pay. But that's how it works.

OH NO! I don't think I or anyone has said that India is BAD for taking our jobs.....

NO NO NO!

Of course it's the money hungry moguls that run the major corps that are to blame.

I've seen this become an ever growing problem in the electronics industry over the last 30 years. It didn't all happen yesterday. I've watched company after company move their manufacturing operations to foreign countries, usually on the Pacific rim.

And, if ever its going to be 'fixed', that won't happen overnight either.

Thank God, I've made a carreer for myself that CANNOT be outsourced to a foreign nation. I go to peoples homes, sit down at their pc's and solve their computer problems. Besides being very rewarding, it's FUN too.

I really enjoy the interaction with my customers.

Cheers!

Andromeda43