Pre install Partitions?

Firstly I apologize if this has already been answered (I tried searching around a bit but didn't find anything) and also if I've posted in the wrong section (although I think im ok :))

Thanks to the great info here I have managed to setup a nice unattended xp install, which installs updates, apps etc everything and more that i was hoping :D

The only thing is, is that I like xp installed on one partition... And then my apps installed on another (namely the D drive)... All works fine, apps install to D drive etc all works lovely!

However... this is only if i have previously set up the D partition and formatted it... What if I install onto a new drive? The 2nd partition won't exist for one thing so I assume there will be a few errors :P

So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to how to go about this? ie before the window installed/partitioner kicks in... to set up some partitions? (because as far as i know the windows partitioner can create the partitions, but it won't format the 2nd one)?

Any help very much appreicated!

Iki.

If I do a network install, using the Windows OPK disk that comes in the OEM 3-pack you can use this method in the winbom.ini file. I never tried this other than this method, so you can give it a try for your needs.

1. Create a configuration set using the SetupManager and save the winbom.ini to a floppy.

2. Modify the winbom.ini to configure the disk partitioning similar to the following:

[DiskConfig]

Disk1 = Drive0.Config

[Drive0.Config]

WipeDisk=Yes

Size1 = 30000

FileSystem1 = NTFS

SetActive1 = Yes

PartitionType1 = Primary

Size2 = *

PartitionType2 = Extended

Size3 = *

PartitionType3 = Logical

QuickFormat1=Yes

QuickFormat3=Yes

In the above example, you will get a primary partition of 30Gig and whatever is left as a secondary partition both formatted as NTFS.

hope this helps..

Thank you for your reply :D Unfortunatly im not familiar with the winbom.ini and so don't think I could quite do this method lol (Im not some technical guy that works in a company or anything, just doing it for my own personal desire :P and only started my unattended cd a few days ago lol)

The only other idea ive come up with is replacing the boot image of the disk to run my own boot loader, where by i can choose to run a partition program, and THEN run the original setup... Not sure how sucessful I will be with this lol, but it will keep me busy :P

Thanks (any other info/sugestions/ideas very much welcome!),

Iki

There is a way to do it...no doubt about that...but how?

One thing I was just thinking up was scripting something and running that from BartPE or WinPE. With either of those two you get access to better partitioning tools via third party. Partition Magic, Disk Director, even the spiffed up diskpart can all be manipulated to acomplish a quick disk arrangement like you want. You could even script in the part afterwards which could copy over all the files and launch setup, using your unattended files of course.

But that seems like too much work...there's gotta be something better!

Yes I would hope there is something better :( But looks like booting BartPE and then doing it is gonna have to be the way... As for keeping data on the partitions, im gonna say no wipe it all :P

If you manually set the partition, you can tell XP to format the D Drive first before installing XP on the C Drive. This way, the D drive will be ready to accept applications.

The unfortunate part is that it will not be completely unattended. You have to set the partitions manually.

Thanks Gee, this would be what im after I think :D, aslong as by not completely be unattended you mean in the first step of setting up the partitions, and then the rest fine :P

And erm, would you mind telling me how I would go about doing this? :blushing:

Thanks,

Iki

Yes thats how I have it at the moment... But the partition program that comes up, lets you set partitions, but you can only choose to format the partition that you want windows installed on... So the second partition will exist but won't be formatted, so surely applications will fail to install on that partition?

Forgive me if im misunderstanding something lol

Sorry, may have been my mis-understanding.

If the second partition isn't formatted then ,you correct, no chance of installing apps upon it. Assume most people when they do this, format the partition first and then re-install so it doesn't matter.

How else you can do this, not sure but think a few other topics have been started also asking for this.

Yes thats how I have it at the moment... But the partition program that comes up, lets you set partitions, but you can only choose to format the partition that you want windows installed on... So the second partition will exist but won't be formatted, so surely applications will fail to install on that partition?

Forgive me if im misunderstanding something lol

Sounds like you already have it accomplished. There is only one trick left.

After you create the partitions, it is possible to format the second partition first. Then it will return you to the partition screen and you can then select the Primary partition to install XP.

If you look closely at the options when you move to the second partition, it will allow you to format it with out installing XP in it.

After the quick format, go back to the primary partition, hit enter to install XP.

Hmmmm, well i create the partitions (see image)...

post-67849-1123884005_thumb.jpg

But find no option at all to format the 2nd partition? I can only delete it or install windows to it, not format it :wacko:

Hmmmm, well i create the partitions (see image)...

post-67849-1123884005_thumb.jpg

But find no option at all to format the 2nd partition? I can only delete it or install windows to it, not format it :wacko:

i've been trying to do the excat same thing

but since partition2 isn't formatted i can only install everything into 1 the boot into windows create part 2 and then reinstall which is bit of a pain

i'd really like to know a sl for this would using 3rd party progs help?