VPN: Cannot see other clients

JuMz

Hey all,

Let me give you my network Architecture before I go into detail about my problem

I have a Linksys WRT54G router with VPN pass through enabled etc etc. The router has 2 PC's (A and B) connected via CAT5 and 2 other clients connect VIA wirless (C and D).

I am using XP's built in VPN feature (setup through creating an advanced connection etc etc). This feature has been setup on PC A. My understanding is that PC A will have to assign the IP to the VPN client, so I have unchecked "assign ip automatically" and manully assigned it within the range of the rest of my PC's on my network (assigned from 192.168.1.110 to 115 for a total of 6 clients, btw, no other clients have Ips with this range). on PC A (the one hosting the VPN) , i have check boxed every box that says allow clients to access network etc etc.

Ok, so here is the problem. When I VPN into PC A from my work computer (and any other computer for that matteR), I get connected, everything goes ok, I can map a drive to PC A, ping it, share files, functions perfectly normal. HOWEVER, I cannot ping, map drive , or do anything with regards to PC B, C , and D. It's like they simply don't exist. Why Am I not able to see the other PC's on my network? (none of these have windows firewall etc etc enabled, and i can perfectly map to them / ping them if i was physically sittong on PC A).

Someone told me this may be an issue with my router and IP forwarding...I am not exactly sure what this means or how to fix it...

Edited by JuMz

I have never done this with XP but just by making an advanced connection of my own and fishing through the settings, one check box makes sends

Go to "Incoming connections properties" then the networking tab then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select properties and check the box that says allow callers to access my local area network

I have never done this with XP but just by making an advanced connection of my own and fishing through the settings, one check box makes sends

Go to "Incoming connections properties" then the networking tab then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select properties and check the box that says allow callers to access my local area network

Like i said in my first post, I have checked every box that says the above. C'mon guys, that was the obvious thing I checked!

A lot of home routers, Linksys particularly have problems with passing VPN traffic. Usually though if the router has a problem you won't be able to connect for very long if at all, so I don't think that is the case here.

Here are some things you can try. First I don't know if this was fixed since service pack 2 or not but there is a registry edit that you used to have to do for the XP SERVER when in your situation. Here is the link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...6&Product=winxp

After you do that, go to the CLIENT and try adding the IP address you are getting from the server as a static route. Do this by going to command prompt and typing: "route add 192.x.x.x mask 255.255.255.0 192.x.x.x" The first 192.x.x.x following add would be the destination address of your VPN server (PC A). The second 192.x.x.x address would be the address your client receives from the server. Yes this would mean that theoretically since you are using a range of addresses, you would have to do this process for each address in the range

Also I admit its been awhile since I've played around with this stuff, I kind of remember something about the client and server having to have IP addresses on differnt subnets. I know it doesn't make sense at first and I wish I could remember the reason for it. Anywayas you might try it though just to see. For example if the server is on 192.168.1.0, assign the 192.168.2.0 subnet range to the clients.

Good Luck, Jon

Edited by darkfiber1010